Do I need a special tool to get my fork apart?

6 replies to this topic
  • adens13

Posted January 11, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Was trying to change fork seals on my 99 yz400 myself today and came to screeching halt when I could not remove the "bottom cap" to the fork. I know that's not the right term for it but its the piece that the rubber insert goes into to adjust the rebound or whatever the gold adjuster is on the very bottom of the fork. its seems to be like a 14mm allen but when I tried to unscrew it all it did was turn and turn and turn, it got easier to turn but never came out. is it stripped? the manual says use special tool i think but dont see why, and no one talks about using one on this forum. do i need a special tool to get this out and ultimately get the fork apart, am i missing something? thanks a lot!!

• bungus

Posted January 11, 2009 - 06:39 PM

Put the springs back in and put pressure against them. Then loosen the bolt.
you might even have to put the caps and springs back on to remove the bolt. Hope this is it. I'm having fork troubles myself...........

• 02WR426Cali

Posted January 11, 2009 - 06:39 PM

You need to either use a cartridge holder inside the tube on the other end to hold the cartridge while you loosen the compression bolt. Or use an air impact gun to loosen the compression bolt. It just keeps spinning because it screws into the bottom of the cartridge. The cartridge is inside and has a rod that moves up and down sticking out of it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adens13

Posted January 11, 2009 - 06:58 PM

that's what I was thinking but how do you hold the cartridge? even with the top cap off and the fork all the way compressed i still don't see how you hold the cartridge to loosen the bottom nut? thanks again

• 02WR426Cali

Posted January 11, 2009 - 08:07 PM

You have to use a cartridge holder tool:

Here is instructions and it tells you how to make one out of PVC pipe:
http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

click the tech articles link and then the "A cheap cartridge holder" under the suspension section

• adens13

Posted January 11, 2009 - 10:01 PM

better yet, do i even need to take that apart if i only want to replace the seals? or is that only to remove the damper/cartridge? thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2009 - 10:52 PM

better yet, do i even need to take that apart if i only want to replace the seals?

No, you don't. It can stay in place if all you need is to change the seals.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.