Muffler Insert

110 replies to this topic
  • wayneoXCF

Posted February 16, 2003 - 06:23 PM

I just ordered mine for $39.95. Cant wait to see what the dropoff is in power??

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted February 18, 2003 - 03:43 PM

Oregon Power Sports called this afternoon and told me that my muffler insert has come in, also my 72 starter jet. I will try to get someone to take a digital picture and maybe he can post it for me... We'll try anyway.
Jim

• jeff_eugene_or

Posted February 18, 2003 - 07:21 PM

I did buy the Baja Designs insert and it is very nice. It sounds great and seals very well. It has two o-ring seals. $100 is a lot, but I like it.
Jeff

• ddialogue

Posted February 19, 2003 - 03:39 AM

My dealer called yesterday and my insert has arrived as well. I will post some photos tonight when I get home.

• jwriott

Posted February 19, 2003 - 04:15 AM

Can you give a report on sound level and power loss as well if possible?

• ddialogue

Posted February 19, 2003 - 04:25 AM

I don't have any way to measure the sound but I can definitely give you a ride report. :)

• jwriott

Posted February 19, 2003 - 08:19 AM

I'd just like a to know if it's quiet like the Vortip without robbing too much power.

• ddialogue

Posted February 19, 2003 - 08:33 AM

Just picked up the insert from the dealer and it is pretty cool. The big suprise? The end cap is billet aluminum! I'll post pictures shortly of the insert itself but won't have any shots of it installed until after I get home from work this afternoon. Stay tuned!

• ddialogue

Posted February 19, 2003 - 09:07 AM

Here are photos of the insert. I have not installed it yet (because I'm still at work!) The installation sheet says:

This Muffler Insert Kit when properly installed in the stock muffler conforms to United States Forest Service noise regulations in effect as of January 1, 2003.

The noise level should be acceptable and hopefully performance won't suffer too bad. BTW, it's 7 3/8" long. Enjoy!

First
Second
Third
Fourth

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted February 19, 2003 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the photos!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwriott

Posted February 19, 2003 - 10:10 AM

Since it's aluminum and stainless (guessing), are the 2 pieces bolted together? In the first picture, it looks like there is a bolt head at the bottom of the aluminum section.

• ddialogue

Posted February 19, 2003 - 10:31 AM

It doesn't look like it's stainless to me and looks like it would probably rust. :) You are correct about having a bolt holding the two pieces together. It appears the way the bolt is situated that if it came loose it couldn't back out because it's blocked by the stock exhaust collar. I'm excited to get it installed and tested. Yes, my wife thinks I'm a dork. :D

• Superbike

Posted February 19, 2003 - 01:00 PM

Man, that is simple. Maybe I should make a few? Anyone want one? Let us know how it works! ---Mike

• ddialogue

Posted February 19, 2003 - 01:11 PM

I got the insert installed. Here are the photos:
Installed 1 Installed 2 Installed 4 Installed 4

I fired the bike up with the insert in and WOW is it quiet!! I have not heard a thumper with a vortip installed so I cannot compare. However, from just listening to the sound of this it is very close to being as quiet as the stock insert. Not sure about the rest of you but both my 426 and 450 would barely even idle (if at all) with the stock insert in. With the GYT-R insert, it idles excellent and I still have quick acceleration from idle. It does feel a tiny bit restricted but I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Keep in mind that I was only able to take it up and down the pavement a few times and the real test will be when I can get it out in the dirt this Saturday. I believe, at this point, I will be satisfied with the performance and I know I'm satisfied with the sound level. Yippeee!

• tctrailrider

Posted February 19, 2003 - 02:15 PM

Congrats, hope the new tip works well. For those who haven't looked into aftermarket tips, the design looks very similiar to a Vortip. The Vortip has a turn down end but other than that the three variable length tubes look the same. Great price, they will sell a ton of these.

• adamwagar

Posted February 19, 2003 - 03:55 PM

Great photos and excellent writeup. Who needs DIRT BIKE magazine. Thanks Dave!!! :) :D :D

• JJboys

Posted February 20, 2003 - 08:49 AM

Dave,

Thank you for the test information and Pics. I have been dying for a fix to quiet my bike down a little without spending a ton. The Best Thing is that it comes from Yamaha. Thanks again from the Northeast.

Mark

• RSA210

Posted February 20, 2003 - 09:01 AM

It's been a long time coming!!!!!! Great looking piece Dave.Need to get an offical sound reading on that bad boy!

• RonO

Posted February 20, 2003 - 09:17 AM

Nice pics.... Now only if mine would ever show up at the dealer. I've been calling them every day. Nope not here, nope not here. Try tomorrow.... damn

• wayneoXCF

Posted February 20, 2003 - 12:10 PM

Great pics Dave! Ive been calling my dealer every week, and still no dice. They were all in CA, so its just a matter of time. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.