WR426 Not Too Shabby!

8 replies to this topic
  • Guyver

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:35 PM

Well, my Wr426 isn't as pretty as the "orange" bikes; and maybe it's not quite as hot as a CRF450X - but it did a pretty good job today.

I met some new friends while out riding today and took them to some of my favorite local trails. Both guys had "new" bikes. One was a WR250 uncorked, and the other a KTM525EXC - also with the mods done. We rode together and the guys let me try out their bikes. I had actually been contemplating buying a "new" bike with the "button."

Part of the reason is that some guys on these threads say that my old 02 426can't even be compared to these new 450's. After today, I beg to differ.

First of all the KTM. We all know how people feel about the KTM's. And frankly, I see why. The fit and finish is outstanding. They look good, they feel good, and they are good. I have no problems with them although today was the first time I've ridden one. It had good power and it was a killer machine - no question. But, with the exception of the suspension being slightly better than mine, and the braking superior, I actually was happy to get back on my bike. I just think that I can ride it better, more aggressively. The 525 was just a little too big feeling for me.

As far as the new WR's - I think they're good too. The 250 I rode today was a blast. It was quick and nimble, excellent suspension, and a real kick to ride. It just didn't have the big power on the bottom that I've come to love about my 426.

My 426 will pull wheelies in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd with just the throttle. The suspension is great and it climbs hills like a monster. The only problem that I have with the bike is the braking capability. I'd like to see it stop better - that's about it. At 1/3 the price of a new KTM - I'm going to stick with it for awhile. So, yeah - Yamaha WR's are pretty good.

Posted Image

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 11, 2009 - 12:45 AM

Bleed the front and rear brake! Replace pads if they're too worn. The front brake may still leave something to be desired...I've never been a fan of the front brake set-up where the hose goes under the fork tube and then up to the caliper. My old TT-R had a better front brake for crying out loud.

If bleeding the brakes and new pads doesn't improve braking action to your liking, I suggest this!

CR style front brake hose routing with an oversized wave rotor will improve braking greatly on the front!!!

'03-'05 YZ/WR master cylinder in the rear. This one ain't cheap and unless you score a bitchen deal on ebay it may not be worth it. Take a look at the fluid reservoir and how close it is to the exhaust... what happens is the exhaust will heat up fluid and make the brakes spongy feeling. The newer style master cylinder is unitized with the resevoir and keeps the brake fluid cooler. My cousin has an '01 YZ and the rear brake on my '07 WR feels crisper and stays more consistent as the riding day wears on.

NICE 426 :smirk: That thing is sanitary! :thinking:

• SpyridonMexas

Posted January 11, 2009 - 12:55 AM

Well, my Wr426 isn't as pretty as the "orange" bikes;
We all know how people feel about the KTM's.

Actually the WR's are far more pretty than the KTM bikes in my opinion.
I had a KTM and i know. As for power...forget it! WR450 with the mods done is unbeatable.:thinking:

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 12, 2009 - 11:10 PM

now i have to cation you about this, i just found out about it when it happened to me. i have a 2001 wr 426 and i completely demolished the motor because i did not know this. these bikes are notorious for blowing the bottom ends for what ever reason. they tend to do it 7000 to 8000 miles, although mine lasted about 15,000.

what happened with mine is a shifting fork came loose from the fork rail and ended up seizing my bike after taking out the rest of the trans, both center cases, cyclender sleve, rod, crank shaft, and last but not least piston. the only thing that is still good in the motor is the head.

so the lesson in this is to think about your transmition and maybe throw a little service its way every once and a while.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffh555

Posted January 12, 2009 - 11:36 PM

very clean 426, i need to clean mine up a bit...

where did you find the white headlight surround? or is that an entirely aftermarket headlight?

• Guyver

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:17 AM

very clean 426, i need to clean mine up a bit...

where did you find the white headlight surround? or is that an entirely aftermarket headlight?

That is plastic paint my friend. I did prep it real good before I painted. So far the job has held up real well.

• Guyver

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:18 AM

now i have to cation you about this, i just found out about it when it happened to me. i have a 2001 wr 426 and i completely demolished the motor because i did not know this. these bikes are notorious for blowing the bottom ends for what ever reason. they tend to do it 7000 to 8000 miles, although mine lasted about 15,000.

what happened with mine is a shifting fork came loose from the fork rail and ended up seizing my bike after taking out the rest of the trans, both center cases, cyclender sleve, rod, crank shaft, and last but not least piston. the only thing that is still good in the motor is the head.

so the lesson in this is to think about your transmition and maybe throw a little service its way every once and a while.

Thanks - What type of service do you suggest?

• pismowr

Posted July 01, 2010 - 06:49 AM

Looking for a place to purchase a CR stlye hose for my `02 WR426 can someone show me a link? I still have my worn stock hose and would like to upgrade while I`m at it. Andy

• L. Euler

Posted July 01, 2010 - 07:11 AM

I know what you mean about the WRs. I was going to sell mine after it munched a head which gave me an excuse to buy a new KTM 450 XC-W. The KTM is nice and powerful, but my 03 WR450 still has more punch. After rebuilding the top end and a number of other mods I can't part with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.