Is anyone still doing the AP mod on the 2008 450

6 replies to this topic
  • PAdaytonaman

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:36 PM

Is this thing just run better than the 06's or are guys not doing the Ainkage mod any longer. I have heard that the 2008's run great right out of the box, perhaps a boyesen x wing and a new slip on.

Are you guys still wiring the linkage on the carbs or is it not necessary on this model?

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2009 - 09:50 PM

Wiring the AP linkage, frankly is a caveman approach. No personal offense to anyone, but it is. The very most primitive thing done should be the O-ring mod (in which an O-ring ties the pump rod to the drive arm), but better than that is the use of a heavier AP drive spring, such as the one from Merge Racing.

As for the '08 itself, it already comes with a slightly beefier AP spring to begin with, and most people do seem to find that it needs less AP tuning out of the box than any of the earlier ones. Then again, both my son and I ride '06's with completely stock AP's and neither of us has a problem with bogging or stumbling. Some of the "problem" IS user error.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:24 AM

Yo Gray,

I know you have mentioned this before, but can you run the DRD rad lowering kit with the stock head pipe? I frankly don't feel like spending the extra $ for a header, but if what folks say is true and the rad lowering really helps, than I guess its a worthwhile approach.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2009 - 07:24 AM

Yo Gray,

I know you have mentioned this before, but can you run the DRD rad lowering kit with the stock head pipe?

I haven't mentioned it that I remember, but no, you can't.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:01 PM

Is this thing just run better than the 06's or are guys not doing the Ainkage mod any longer. I have heard that the 2008's run great right out of the box, perhaps a boyesen x wing and a new slip on.

Are you guys still wiring the linkage on the carbs or is it not necessary on this model?

Put on an R&D Powerbowl with stiffer spring and run a 50 pilot jet. It's all you need

• Lorre79

Posted January 13, 2009 - 11:10 AM

SO, the conclusion is that an O-mod is primitive?

• Kasjok

Posted January 13, 2009 - 11:54 AM

You can call it primitive, but if it works then I don`t see the point in spending money on heavier spring. I did the mod on my 08 when I got it and compared to 07 you can really tell that the AP spring had been beefed up. However the O-ring still gave it some extra.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.