getting screws out of broken ankle?

13 replies to this topic
  • biker boy

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

I did a search but didnt find anything... so i broke my left ankle last spring when the bike fell on my ankle left ankle in 1st gear, my foot was flat and my leg went to like 85 degrese from it :thinking: god that sucked... surgery was 1 week after i broke it cause it was swelled up too much, and i got the cast off 6 weeks after the crash, and was walking 4 or 5 weeks after that. Anyways, since i have 9 screws, a plate, and a wire in there i have to go in and get some of it taken out. There is 6 screws and a plate in the small bone on the inside (which fragmented into about 3 or 4 peices), and 3 screws on the other side holding the joint together (the bottom left side broke off) hope i explained that good enough, i dont have any pictures of the X-rays.

So my questions are, when i get the screws taken out in the fall, how long should i expect to be out of commission? how long with crutches? and how much will it hurt after words?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrMark

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

When I take screws out of the ankle, I don't put people on crutches. By six weeks, they can return to sports.

• biker boy

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

have you ever had any of them re break it? My doctor told me i would need crutches for 2-4 weeks after so i don't re break it.

• DrMark

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

I have never had a refracture of the ankle in the early period.

• biker boy

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

alright, thanks for the info, makes me feel allot better knowing i wont have to use the "stupid sticks" for 4 weeks

• skidlid

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

I had 10 and a plate removed, I walked out of the hospital 3 hours later. I am glad they are gone. My skin is not as irritated and my shoes do not rub on the screws. Feels better in the cold MN weather also.

• biker boy

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

thats one thing i have never noticed, everyone says they hurt in the cold but i don't even notice them. Only time it hurts is if i step on something the wrong way.

• skidlid

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

thats one thing i have never noticed, everyone says they hurt in the cold but i don't even notice them. Only time it hurts is if i step on something the wrong way.

Unfortunately I still have that problem, walking in snow is really hard on my ankles. It just seems to bend the ankle in a way it does not want to move anymore.

• bermrailer

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

I crushed both my anckles and heels in May of 08. I overjumped a 105ft triple and was forty ft high. felt like 2 hand grenades went off in my boots. I had pins with an external fixator holding my heel were it had to be while the new bone grew. I still have alot of pain when I walk and was wondering if I would break them easier now that I have 6 screws in my calcanius bones. I miss riding and want to get back on in the spring.

• chadk66

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

Unfortunately I still have that problem, walking in snow is really hard on my ankles. It just seems to bend the ankle in a way it does not want to move anymore.

you've just lost elasticity in the muscles/legiments in the ankle. It will get better with time if you stay active. With mine, the more I use it the better it is.

• dunecj2a

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

I broke my left and had 4 screws put in, 2 years later I broke both and had a bunch more put in and a plate on my right. 1 year later I had all the hardware removed. When I woke up I could tell right away how much more mobility I had. It was an outpatient surgery and I walked out about an hour later with a zip lock baggy full of metal. I was so glad I did it and amazed how much better my ankles felt. No pain, soreness or swelling anymore. It would kill me to jog 3 miles with all the steel in. I can run 5 miles now with zero pain or discomfort.

• BDOG510

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Mine really don't bother me other than a little stiffness. Mine has been in 2 years and I don't plan on getting them out.

Anything wrong with leaving them in?

• Drake430

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

Mine have been in for four years and I can't feel them at all

• KTMMotoGirl

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

I had two plates & 12 screw removed and walked out of the hospital under my own power. I was told to be careful (no extreme sports, no falling over) and to only wear flat shoes for 6 weeks. Had x-rays and the holes were about 75% healed over and was released for everything but sports. Another 6 weeks and I was released for everything. I am a really slow healer when it comes to bones (have broken both legs and they both took twice as long as most people to heal) - my Dr. told me most people are released after 6 weeks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.