XR650L Reliability mods for LONG distance

2 replies to this topic
  • powermonger525

Posted February 03, 2003 - 03:37 AM

I am buying a '95 XR650L today, and putting it on a boat for Argentina this week. The planis to ride it home to Colorado taking as little pavement as possible. I'm not familiar with this bike.
What needs to be done? What breaks, What falls off? What will ruin my day in the jungle?
Planned mods so far are tires, suspension (lower and stiffer), supertrapp, jetting, K&N air, Scotts oil, luggage.
I'm hanging a fair bit of weight ff the bac. Do I need to beef up the subframe? Where? (I can weld)

Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billyboy11b

Posted February 03, 2003 - 06:14 AM

The back of the 650L is built like a skyscraper, I doubt you'll have any problems hanging suff off the back of it, as long as you leave the jumps to a minimum. I'd remove the emissions on it, and definately go with a bigger tank. As far as what breaks the most, on mine it's the turn signals :). Hopefully you won't have the same problem. As far as welding, look around, I'm sure you can find a spot on all that steel sticking out over the swingarm. I run drape saddlebags with internal frames on my LD runs. My farthest run was from El Paso to Yuma, and I had no complaints. Happy Trails.

• secretatlas

Posted February 03, 2003 - 10:40 AM

i rode a xr650l from washington state to colorado and back with about 30% of the trip being off pavement. and then rode the bike again for another two years before selling it. i'm personally a big fan when it comes to adventure touring to leave the bike in stock condition save for the tank and any suspension mods. chances are the stock stuff is gonna last longer and if it does break your odds are better getting it fixed locally. obviously you have thought through all of this since you are a week out from your trip. so really all i have to say is have fun and you made a good choice with the bike.

kc

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.