Bent Subframe Repair

5 replies to this topic
  • steve_97060

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:03 PM

I bent my subframe on my 06 450 where the exhaust connects, can this be bent back without breaking? is there a preferred method, tricks, heat, slowly, etc...

any feedback appreciated...

Posted Image

thanks...

• BBrown626

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:33 PM

I heated mine with a propane torch before bending it back. My son bent the crap out of his a couple weeks ago after going over the bars 4th gear pinned. We use heat and a 4-foot black pipe. No cracking or other problems. In your case some heat and a large wrench will probably do.

Good luck.

• pscook

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:23 PM

That is cast alloy, so be careful. Give it a good heat soak and bend just what you need to bend. See if you can clamp the straight part in a vise and bend only the tip. If it was me, I would make a tool that attached to the big thick part to bend just that, or use my 24" Crescent wrench on it to make sure that I was bending it in the right place. Worse case scenario is that you break off the tab and end up having to weld the piece back on, but then you can make it as straight as you want.

Bend it a little at a time, not in one big shot. Keep it warm the entire time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve_97060

Posted January 11, 2009 - 02:07 PM

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated... it sounds like use heat, and bend it slowly.. kind of what I was thinking, just hope it doesn't break......

• husqy360

Posted January 11, 2009 - 02:47 PM

ya and get it off the bike before. :thinking:

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:05 PM

That is cast alloy, so be careful. Give it a good heat soak and bend just what you need to bend. See if you can clamp the straight part in a vise and bend only the tip. If it was me, I would make a tool that attached to the big thick part to bend just that, or use my 24" Crescent wrench on it to make sure that I was bending it in the right place. Worse case scenario is that you break off the tab and end up having to weld the piece back on, but then you can make it as straight as you want.

Bend it a little at a time, not in one big shot. Keep it warm the entire time.

ditto

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.