Spending "Money" on my YZ426?

50 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted January 13, 2009 - 06:54 AM

they have the hot cam auto-decompresion for the 426f for buy now 129.95 is that a good price.

That seems decently priced. I think I paid $100 for my OEM 03 YZ cam back when I did the swap in my 00 426. I've always said (and always will) that the auto decomp cam mod is by far the best bang for the buck mod you can do to a 400/426.

• mike_dean

Posted January 13, 2009 - 11:14 AM

they have the hot cam auto-decompresion for the 426f for buy now 129.95 is that a good price.

If I remember right I paid more than that several years ago, the Hotcams installation is easy and is the best mod you can do, I also added a flywheel weight because the bike did seem to stall at the wrong time. Mike

• LEMMON1

Posted January 13, 2009 - 01:17 PM

ok so heres another questioin...actually 2. which cam is a better idea to use the hot cam or hte stock 450 cam?

also, is it ok or how many of u only did the exhaust cam or did u all do both intake and exhaust?

real shitty part is i ordered intake and exhsuat cams for the 426 over a year ago to take care of this problem...but went to send them back in exhange for 250f cams for my 06 cause i wanted to put the 290 kit i have on and use...but wehn i recieved them from teh post office while i was stationed overseas and they told me if i just refused them since i didnt open the package that they would be sent back for no charge instead of payin $20 to send them back. well wouldnt ya know it, they got lost in the mail and im eff'd out of $300

• mike_dean

Posted January 13, 2009 - 04:16 PM

ok so heres another questioin...actually 2. which cam is a better idea to use the hot cam or hte stock 450 cam?

also, is it ok or how many of u only did the exhaust cam or did u all do both intake and exhaust?

real shitty part is i ordered intake and exhsuat cams for the 426 over a year ago to take care of this problem...but went to send them back in exhange for 250f cams for my 06 cause i wanted to put the 290 kit i have on and use...but wehn i recieved them from teh post office while i was stationed overseas and they told me if i just refused them since i didnt open the package that they would be sent back for no charge instead of payin $20 to send them back. well wouldnt ya know it, they got lost in the mail and im eff'd out of $300

I used just the exhaust, didn't notice any power difference. Mike

• gem

Posted January 14, 2009 - 05:05 AM

I am in the same boat w/ my 426. I have had it for 4 years. And every winter I intend to rebuild it but the opinion is it is not worth it but - I like this old friend of mine. It has a Q, Powerbomb, flywheel weight, and 18" rear wheel and has NEVER had any problems (except for that pesky oil filter drain bolt). I remember when I bought it I was on this site constantly researching and thought that the "starting drill", "extremely heavy" "overheating" issues were going to be tough. I have the starting drill as second nature and can start it first kick, and even thought I trail/woods ride w/ (plus a little mx)it it as never overheated. And this thing gassed up is alot lighter than the 4stroke off-road bikes. Having been obsessed w/ dirt bikes for about 4 years now this is my first case of the emotionally tangled love of a bike that is not dead but is "not worth it" BOO HOO. I bought the video on how to do the motor but haven't gotten the nerve to pull things apart as I am not a good wrench.

• Florida_426

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:47 AM

I installed the O.E.M. 03 450 exhaust cam only. I have noticed a sharper and crisper throttle response with the 450 DCM modification. Again, no complaints from me and zero problems. The 426 has been absolutely reliable for me. I have a Dr.D hour meter and use this to schedule oil and oil filter changes at 3 hour intervals. The fork fluid gets changed every 4 months with Yamalube 01 and I keep fresh brake fluid in the resevoirs.

Bill

• LEMMON1

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:12 PM

I installed the O.E.M. 03 450 exhaust cam only. I have noticed a sharper and crisper throttle response with the 450 DCM modification. Again, no complaints from me and zero problems. The 426 has been absolutely reliable for me. I have a Dr.D hour meter and use this to schedule oil and oil filter changes at 3 hour intervals. The fork fluid gets changed every 4 months with Yamalube 01 and I keep fresh brake fluid in the resevoirs.

Bill

since ur in florida what is ur carb jetted at?? mine seems to be blowin them mor than i would like

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:11 AM

I have a Dr.D hour meter and use this to schedule oil and oil filter changes at 3 hour intervals.
Bill

Isnt this a little extreme bill? Every trail ride??? I can understand 3hrs of mx racing.......but........ trails? Every 3 hrs?

I am in the same boat w/ my 426. I have had it for 4 years. And every winter I intend to rebuild it but the opinion is it is not worth it but ............ I bought the video on how to do the motor but haven't gotten the nerve to pull things apart as I am not a good wrench.

Gem, im in the same boat as you. I have a 426. Was just going to "ride it" and take care of the simple things. But keep it stock. My friend jason can get this bike started, in the freezing cold. First kick. Hell he's done it 3 times in a row. But when you're 90% of the way home, exhausted, and kill the bike... I'll tell you. I was kicking and kicking. Couldnt get it right past that point where it likes a full kick... I had to literally sit there for a minute and rest. Then restart. I really wanna do this mod. Just dont have the mechanical skills to do it myself, so i'll have to pay someone. :thumbsup:

So gotta ask.... is one better than the other? Grayracer, i trust your opinion, is the 03, 04 or "hot cam" for the exhaust cam, a better option? thanks

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:35 AM

is it worth doing the auto de-compression or not

YES! Its money well spent. :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:38 AM

Isnt this a little extreme bill? Every trail ride??? I can understand 3hrs of mx racing.......but........ trails? Every 3 hrs?

Its not a lawn mower, its a performance 4 stroke.

Every 3 hours is plenty of time on oil. I change mine every ride.... 20 minutes or 8 hours, when the day is over, the oil gets changed. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Well I have a 01 YZ426. And a lot of people tell me not to put money into it. I agree with them on this, But I like the bike It fits me prety good and am in no real need for a new bike.

I hear ya. I still love my 426 (well, actually 444) as much today as the day I brought it home from the Yammy dealer. Its one of the best "do it all" bikes ever built, and I think they are more reliable than the newer 450's (even the Yamaha 450).

I'm going to get a YZ250 smoker in the future, but I'm still keeping my old YZF too. Its like part of the family. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:10 AM

It depends on the riding you do, and on the oil you use. The issue is the abuse the oil suffers from shearing in the transmission, not the engine. Obviously, tooling around on the street is going to be a lot easier on things than almost anything that goes on off-road, but it's still something to understand.

If the oil chosen is formulated for use in transmissions, you can go longer than if you use an automotive oil not intended for that purpose. The most commonly additives that allow multigrade engine oils to hold their viscosity at high temperatures are physically fragile, and the gears in your transmission tend to tear them up so that a 10w-40 turns into a 9w-20, and sometimes surprisingly fast. This is why frequent oil changes are important. Some general guidelines are that synthetic are usually better in this regard than mineral oils, and oils with a narrower viscosity range have fewer such additives, and so are less susceptible to viscosity sheardown due to their destruction. That means that a 15w-40 would generally be tougher than a 5w-40, for example. You should also be aware that there are Viscosity Index Improvers which are capable of holding up much better, and these are used in blending multi-grade gear oils. Some of the better JASO MA motorcycle oils are using these in place of the VII's used in common engine oils to further resist shear down.

Note that of all the engine oils currently available, only Amsoil offers any that are actually graded and labeled for use in transmissions, and even in their line, only Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, MCF and MCV, are so labeled. There are several others that do hold up well, but there are many more thay don't. The best proof of it is to do your own used oil sampling and note the viscosity of the used oil at 200˚ F compared with what it should be.

So gotta ask.... is one better than the other? Grayracer, i trust your opinion, is the 03, 04 or "hot cam" for the exhaust cam, a better option? thanks

The OEM Yamaha cams are the same from '03-'05. These work extremely well with the stock intake, and the quality is above suspicion on any level. They do require an special timing procedure because the marks are stamped to match up with a somewhat different head. The tooth profile of the sprocket is also slightly different, which originally caused worry that the mod would be unreliable, but this concern has proven to be completely baseless.

Aftermarket solutions like the HotCams unit are made specifically to fit and match up with the 400/426 head, so timing is simpler and follows the standard procedure from the manual. The chain also fits a bit better.

At first, the operation of the auto decompression unit on the HotCams was iffy, and it didn't work as well as the OEM cam, but this has since been improved. Also, if you only want to add the AD feature, the base level HotCam now works better in concert with the stock intake than it originally did, too.

As it now stands, I still lean toward the OEM Yamaha part, but it's very close to being dead even, or swinging the other way.

Is the mod worth doing? Unquestionably. As others have said, it's probably the best money you could spend on a 426. I grew up with thumpers and compression releases, and I know how to do everything that can be done with one. I almost did not buy a YZ450 because it didn't have one. Would I go back? Not even.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:21 AM

Aftermarket solutions like the HotCams unit are made specifically to fit and match up with the 400/426 head, so timing is simpler and follows the standard procedure from the manual. The chain also fits a bit better.

Ok, i totally understand this point. Sounds good............. but then......

Also, if you only want to add the AD feature, the base level HotCam now works better in concert with the stock intake than it originally did, too.

? I am confused here. To do this mod, do you ONLY need the exhaust cam? It sounds like i need more parts to get this done? I am going to probably go with the "HotCams" unit, I just need to be sure, because i'll be buying the parts and bringing it to my mechanic. :thumbsup:

I dont question whether its worth it! For sure. I am going to have it done... But this part of your statement confuses me. I'm simply trying to get rid of the use of the decompression lever. AD? Is that auto decompression?

Thanks again! (BTW, i'm running yamalube 10w40)

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:44 AM

Ok, i totally understand this point. Sounds good............. but then......

? I am confused here. To do this mod, do you ONLY need the exhaust cam? It sounds like i need more parts to get this done? I am going to probably go with the "HotCams" unit, I just need to be sure, because i'll be buying the parts and bringing it to my mechanic. :thumbsup:

I dont question whether its worth it! For sure. I am going to have it done... But this part of your statement confuses me. I'm simply trying to get rid of the use of the decompression lever. AD? Is that auto decompression?

Thanks again! (BTW, i'm running yamalube 10w40)

yes, you do not have to replace intake cam, just exhaust. AD is auto decompression, and I am certain that gray will stand behind the fact that it is the best mod you can do to a 426. Hands down because I have seen him state it numerous times.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:50 AM

? I am confused here. To do this mod, do you ONLY need the exhaust cam? I dont question whether its worth it! For sure. I am going to have it done... But this part of your statement confuses me. I'm simply trying to get rid of the use of the decompression lever.

Yep, that's it, unless the engine is due for a cam chain (hasn't had it replaced in over a year). The reference to it working better speaks to the performance of the engine. The older HotCams exhausts worked better when paired with the HotCams intake than with the stock intake, whereas the Yamaha 450 exhaust cam works extremely well with the 426 intake cam. You would not be able to use both cams from a 450 because timing would be a pain in the butt involving degree wheels and a bunch of time and hassle.

AD? Is that auto decompression?

Yes.

(BTW, i'm running yamalube 10w40)

My opinion?: run something else.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:59 AM

Sounds great GR. well to sum up your opinion, the 03-05 450 exhaust cam, though possibly harder to initially set the timing...... is a better fit the for the overall project/motor.

Yamalube sux.

:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2009 - 11:05 AM

... the 03-05 450 exhaust cam, though possibly harder to initially set the timing...... is a better fit the for the overall project/motor.

This was more true at one time than it currently is, was the point I was attempting to make. Now, it's a tossup of sorts. Price used to be an issue, too, but the OEM cam has gotten more expensive, and the simplicity of using the HotCams, along with product improvements, have made it more attractive.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 15, 2009 - 01:31 PM

where did you guys buy your hotcam? Got a part number?

I'll be puttin it on a 00.

Thanks again greyracer.

• LEMMON1

Posted January 15, 2009 - 01:41 PM

so is there a different part number for hte newer hot cams that works better than the older hotcams that didnt? i dont wana buy one someday here soon and then find out i got the older version instead

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2009 - 01:48 PM

The currently available stage one is the "new, improved" one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.