Spending "Money" on my YZ426?

50 replies to this topic
  • CyclePro238

Posted January 10, 2009 - 01:27 PM

Well I have a 01 YZ426. And a lot of people tell me not to put money into it. I agree with them on this, But I like the bike It fits me prety good and am in no real need for a new bike. Really the only things I want to do is lower the radiators, Build a TI subframe, and try working with Carbon Fiber. Now befor anyone gets excited. I can do everything I listed above at home. I have a fabrication shop in my Garage. Would this be considerd a waist of money if all I'm really doing is paying for materials and using my spare time?

Thanks, Nick

• rmx

Posted January 10, 2009 - 01:36 PM

Nick,
I think part of the fun is knowing we do alot of our own tweaking. You already said you can do all the work yourself and don't want another bike...I say have fun and enjoy your improvements. We all endure the cost of maintaining these bike new or old, its part of riding.:thinking:

Mike

• CyclePro238

Posted January 10, 2009 - 01:56 PM

Yeah its deffinatly fun. I like making parts and saing that I made it all. Another thing I am kinda looking into is tipping my motor forward. Theres a few things I want to look into first. Chain torque and a few other things.

• Thrash1

Posted January 10, 2009 - 02:20 PM

AutoDecomp Cam mod is a must do. You can buy the Cam Cheap from ServiceHonda.com. I just did mine and WOW....... No more start procedures. I even tested bump starting and no problem. Pull the clutch and Kick away.:smirk: Fires up First or Second Kick.:thinking:

Are you planning on doing SuperMoto? Sounds like your setting it up if your fabricating new engine brakets/subframes. If you do Post pictures.

BTW: I race mine against New 450's and Can hang no Problem :smirk:

• CyclePro238

Posted January 10, 2009 - 02:58 PM

I'm not racin supermoto, MX, I am just trying to cut down the weight and try to lower the Center of Gravity to make the bike handle better. I will for sure get some pics together of my work.

• Deathdeelr

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:53 PM

I'm not going anywhere near as far as you seem to be with my yz400 but I've been a street biker for a long time (V-Max, Road Warrior, F3 to name a few). I've been applying some of my fabrication skills to the bike much to the shagrin of some friends (who are mostly bolt on types of guys). Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done or why bother. I've had three buddies in the basement to show off what I've done so far and all three think I'm nuts.

The tech articles on this site are great. I've already made my rear fender bag mount from one article. Right now I'm fitting handguards and some accessories for my Easton EXP bars since I can't seem to find anything that fits that fat a bar. That along with some powdercoat, some polishing, etc. I'm also making my own skidplate and radiator guards.

• matthew trachsler

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:59 PM

if u can do it urself than whats the problem get on it!

• Thrash1

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:49 PM

Yup, I've converted the Rear Subframe to an '04 450. That required changing the tank, brackets, Airbox, Rear Brake and getting everything sorted. That in itself changed the handleing for the better. Because it felt narrower and the seat position allows you to get further forward when cornering.

I've never thought of changing the engine Position to help the handling. There's a little room to do it, but not much.

• CyclePro238

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:52 PM

Yup, I've converted the Rear Subframe to an '04 450. That required changing the tank, brackets, Airbox, Rear Brake and getting everything sorted. That in itself changed the handleing for the better. Because it felt narrower and the seat position allows you to get further forward when cornering.

I've never thought of changing the engine Position to help the handling. There's a little room to do it, but not much.

Yeah there was a post on it a wile back about somones Factory race bike having the motor tipped forward. Not sure how much chain torque it gains, Just gonna have to take a look.

• tmc55

Posted January 11, 2009 - 04:57 AM

to do the AutoDecomp Cam mod can to do this with the engine on the bike or do you have to take the engine off the bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thrash1

Posted January 11, 2009 - 04:33 PM

You can leave the engine in the frame. You really don't have to take it out. You will need to modify the manual Decomp so it plugs the hole. I Just cut the tab off and then cut the shaft so it fits flush with the head. I did have to change the shims from 185/188 to 190/195. Not much change. but still in spec.

The cam shaft diameter is the same but the lob diameter is slightly differnt.

• tmc55

Posted January 11, 2009 - 05:53 PM

did you use the new hot cam for the 426f or the oem 450 cam

• Thrash1

Posted January 11, 2009 - 08:31 PM

oem 450 cam from an '03 but and 03 or 04 cam will work.

• Florida_426

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:09 AM

Had my 426 since May 02 and have no intention of selling or trading it off. It suits me perfectly and is basically stock, save the 450 DCM modification, a clutch kit (basket, inner hub, pressure plate and new clutch discs) and Dunlop 756 tires. Just maintain them well and enjoy the riding and racing.

Bill

• tmc55

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:22 AM

is it worth doing the auto de-compression or not

• LEMMON1

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:32 AM

is it worth doing the auto de-compression or not

good question...the friend of mine i bought my 2000 off of did hte 450 cam mod and it soon locked up on him and he bought a entire top end head and all afterewards to replace the damages

i was told it was cause of the motocross style of riding...but at the same time he thinks sumthing may have been wrong since 3 people were all puttin it together at the same time...soo he thinks too many cooks in hte kitchen

• harwood39

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:35 AM

yes its worth it. i owned a 2000 426 before i got my 08 kx. It makes them much easier to start and such.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:45 AM

good question...the friend of mine i bought my 2000 off of did hte 450 cam mod and it soon locked up on him and he bought a entire top end head and all afterewards to replace the damages

i was told it was cause of the motocross style of riding...but at the same time he thinks sumthing may have been wrong since 3 people were all puttin it together at the same time...soo he thinks too many cooks in hte kitchen

Based on the number of these modifications done, and the number that have ever failed, I can state with confidence that the failure of your friend's engine had nothing to do with the AD cam itself, and was more probably the result of incorrect assembly, very likely improper torque on the cam caps. Either that, or it was completely unrelated, and inevitable anyway.

Besides, AD cams made expressly for the early engines are now commonly available, so if you believe the rap about the 450 cam not fitting right, you can always use one made for the engine.

• tmc55

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:52 AM

they have the hot cam auto-decompresion for the 426f for buy now 129.95 is that a good price.

• Florida_426

Posted January 12, 2009 - 11:02 AM

I'd agree with GrayRacer and the others on the DCM being well worth the cost. I have had absolutely no problems with my 426 top end and I check the valve lash regularly. I am fixing to replace the timing chain simply because the original chain had a lot of hours on it and I tend to be cautious about my bike. I used the Yamaha exhaust cam for my modification and I have heard good things about the Hot Cams model, also.

Bill

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.