WR 400 VALVE ADJUSTMENT

2 replies to this topic
  • DUKAMP

Posted February 02, 2003 - 11:20 PM

I AM A NEW KID ON THE BLOCK AND HAVN'T HAD MY WR 400 '98 FOR VERY LONG. I BOUGHT IT 2ND HAND AND IT HAS BEEN SERVICED QUITE WELL. I AM TOLD THAT YA NEED TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE VALVE CLEARANCE, MY QUESTION IS, IS THIS ONE OF THOSE JOBS THAT ONCE YOU START, YOU WISH THE HECK YOU HADN'T? IF ONYONE KNOWS HOW THIS IS DONE COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME, THANKS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrTwister

Posted February 03, 2003 - 12:48 PM

hey dukamp, first things first, welcome to TT you'll get loads of good information from people here and read some really entertaining stories too. also writing ALL IN CAPS is like yelling at someone in here, so remember that for future posts. Many of the questions you will need answers to have been asked before so ALWAYS do a search for old threads you may get the answer you need quicker that way. checking your valve clearances is an easy job to do but actually adjusting them is probably best left to the dealer. get yourself the proper workshop manual and read the instructions on how to do it a couple of times before you start. its a short job and can be done every time you change your oil(which MUST be done every 500kms) you'll soon get the feel for how often you need to check them and when they need to be done you'll be able to tell the dealer which ones need doing(if they think you know what the inside of your motor looks like they're less likely to try and rip you off!). also search for recent posts on the oil-filter bolt threading- as this is a problem that can cost you a bit if you strip out the bolt.
you've got an awesome bike that will be heaps fun to ride, but if they arent maintained well cost you money.
cheers
Lachy

• DUKAMP

Posted February 03, 2003 - 03:03 PM

thank you for your reply, sorry about the yelling :D, I am still learning how to fly this site.
I love the bike aspecially after riding a DR350, what a differance.
After looking at the way the adjustments are done I think you are right, leave it to the dealer, sometimes cutting costs doesn't save money in the long run.
Looking forward to my next ride. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.