2000 yz 426f

19 replies to this topic
  • tmc55

Posted January 09, 2009 - 04:35 PM

ihave a yz 426f and i was trying to get it to start and i it wont kick over at all the bike was sitting in my garage for about to months i rode it all summer with no problems at all can anyone tell me what could be wrong do you think it could be the carb any info could be very helpfull thanks

• schrode

Posted January 09, 2009 - 04:40 PM

if you're getting good spark and compression then try a little carb cleaner or starting fluid in carb. if all else fails you can try getting pulled around by a car and bump start

• DRZ04

Posted January 09, 2009 - 10:17 PM

I have seen that problem caused by having the fuel leaking into the cylinder & you get a hydraulic lock. Pull the plug & see if it will kick through then. Also after a period of non use my YZ400F I couldn't pull the decompression lever in & it just had too much compression. Finally gave the lever a hard squeeze & it broke loose & all worked well after that.

• tmc55

Posted January 10, 2009 - 12:14 PM

i have all kind of compression and i took off the fuel line to see if it was getting gas and it is getting gas it just wont start it ran all summer long

• CyclePro238

Posted January 10, 2009 - 01:21 PM

I would say clean your carb and airfilter. and stay away from starting fluid! its not to good on the motor. Check out the Pilot jet, as it sounds like it could be pluged up. When I got my YZ426 it had sat for a few months as well and it was really ruff to start untell I got my carb cleaned. Another thing to try if you think its fluded is to turn the gas off and pull out the hot start and hold it open and kick it over a bunch of times and see what happens.

Nick

• rmx

Posted January 10, 2009 - 01:29 PM

Not sure about the problem...Not starting or will not turn over? Going on the "i have all kind of compression" I will assume you can't start it.
Drain the bowl, clean the plug and while you have the plug out kick it a few times to blow out the chamber(fuel off, while bowl is empty). While your opened up put the plug in the plug wire and check for spark. Put clean plug in, turn your fuel back on and try starting it.

• tmc55

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:46 PM

what is a good spark plug to use

• rmx

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:34 PM

the recommended plug is an NGK CR8E, I'm running a new one and very happy, but could be a better plug available.

• DeeCee

Posted January 11, 2009 - 06:07 PM

I agree with CyclePro. Take off your carburettor and give it a thorough cleaning. Make sure you blow through all the jets and passageways. Make sure you do not over oil your filter.

Also completely change your fuel as it may have gone "off".

Check the spark but if it was running OK previously, other than a fouled plug, the ignition/spark should be OK.

• tmc55

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:18 AM

thanks for the all info guys is it hard to get the carb off i never did it before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Punisher413

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Every time this happens to me, it is always the pilot jet

• 1998YZ400F

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:11 PM

thanks for the all info guys is it hard to get the carb off i never did it before.

its not too hard. do you have a manual? assuming its the same procedure as my 400, just loosen the boots that go from the air box to the carb, and the carb to the head. the hard part is the cover for the throttle cables, the allen head bolts are a real PITA to get to, pop the cover off and loosen the nuts on the throttle cables, disconnect the gas and the TPS plug and wiggle the carb out.

• matt4x4

Posted January 13, 2009 - 06:10 AM

Luckily - on your bike - the carb is still easy to get off.

I remove the gastank and rad shrouds to make it easier

On the right side, remove the cable cover and remove the cables from the carb. (some people mark which one is upper/lower)
From the left - remove the fuel line and loosen the screws on the boots - I generally push the carb back to the air filter, this will remove it from the intake boot, then I swing it out at the front and pull it out of the airfilter boot.
Don't know if your bike has a remote hotstart - that may still need to be disconnected.

• DrThumper

Posted January 13, 2009 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like you are not using a fuel filter. My 426 will sit in the garage all winter, sometimes for up to 4 months. Usually starts within 3-4 kicks. No carb cleaning, no starter fluid, heck I don't even use Stabil, it's usually sits there with a 1/4 gallon or so in it....I just top it off and it starts. Make sure you turn off the gas petcock too when you put her to sleep.

• tmc55

Posted January 13, 2009 - 02:13 PM

where can i get a fuel filter and were do you put it at on the bike

• Florida_426

Posted January 14, 2009 - 09:51 AM

I'll reinforce the idea of cleaning the carburetor well. Clean all the jets and passages thoroughly and use a fresh plug as a precaution.

Bill

• DrThumper

Posted January 14, 2009 - 01:56 PM

where can i get a fuel filter and were do you put it at on the bike

Any motorcycle shop woth a damn will have little in-line conical fuel filters. Usually on a display board right at the counter. They cost about $2-3. Just cut your line about 1" after the petcock and install it. It'll take you about 30 seconds and save you hours of maintenance.

I don't know why YZ's don't come with a fuel filter. Dirt bikes are notorious for dirt in their fuel and clogging pilot jets. Mains are too big for most dust/dirt particles...

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2009 - 05:10 PM

I don't know why YZ's don't come with a fuel filter.

They have two of them. One on each of the two ports of the petcock leading from the tank to the fuel line, and another on the upper end of the needle seat.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:09 AM

the recommended plug is an NGK CR8E, I'm running a new one and very happy, but could be a better plug available.

my bike started on the 4th or 5th kick, and was rough on choke... Installed one of these spark plugs and its like a new bike

perfect idle and starts right up :thumbsup: :p

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2009 - 09:17 AM

The 426 has a little less ignition strength at cranking speeds than it probably should have, and so benefits from little improvements like fresh plugs more than a YZ450 does. Because of that, you might want to give the NGK CR8EIK iridium plug a try. Starting should improve slightly, but noticeably.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.