Glue residue removal

26 replies to this topic
  • FatBuoy

Posted January 09, 2009 - 05:23 AM

This is probably a silly tech thread question, but how are you all removing the glue residue from your tanks when removing graphics? I don't want to use something without making sure it won't harm the plastic itself... Don't, without, won't..triple negative, what does that mean again?

Gracias

• on_one_wheel

Posted January 09, 2009 - 05:36 AM

use fuiel / petrol and a rag

• warden415

Posted January 09, 2009 - 06:33 AM

I always use acetone,

• face_plant

Posted January 09, 2009 - 08:04 AM

yamaha sells stick-off
works like a dream

• RedBull420

Posted January 09, 2009 - 12:05 PM

Goo-Gone or lighter fluid

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 09, 2009 - 12:50 PM

Goo-Gone or lighter fluid

or "goof -off" all of which can be picked up at the local hardware or drug store.. works good... start by removing graphic with heat gun if possible.. it will make the job easier:thumbsup:

• msgbean

Posted January 09, 2009 - 12:54 PM

I've always used WD40 to remove glue residue from stickers. Just let it soak and then wipe it off with a rag.

• creeky

Posted January 09, 2009 - 12:56 PM

Acetone or lacquer thinner. WD40 works OK but leaves an oily residue that must be removed for new sticker application.

• DS-WR450F

Posted January 09, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I tried some soap scum remover, that was sitting in the garage, and it worked great. This was after failing with wd-40. Maybe I didn't let it sit long enough.

• matthew trachsler

Posted January 09, 2009 - 07:31 PM

dont use petrol with a rag ur next set of graphics wont stick properly if u dont get all that gas off after!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted January 10, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Brake cleaner. Cleans well and leaves plastic ready for new graphics.

• brad the best

Posted January 10, 2009 - 01:21 PM

brake cleaner or go gone . i usually use du-pont wash n wipe before i put stickers on its just a paint prep , i use it because i have lots hanging around from painting cars .

• texas_hippie

Posted January 23, 2009 - 05:47 PM

Baby oil works too...and it's cheap. Whatever you use, wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol afterwards to remove any chemical residue.:banana:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 23, 2009 - 06:14 PM

DON'T USE GASOLINE or goo off, or any other petroleum distillate that comes from the bottom of the distilling tower. It will prevent new graphics from sticking properly.

MEK
Benzine
Acetone
Laquer Thinner
Brake cleaner

• madtaff

Posted January 24, 2009 - 01:00 AM

i have always used acetone readily available from good chemists works a treat

• mikey34

Posted January 24, 2009 - 03:36 AM

I personally would stay away from MEK cause there is a chance it will dull the plastic. 3M make an adhesive remover that doesnt damage paint or plastics.

• edexup

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:01 AM

Carb cleaner aerosol........

used it yesterday to remove old race numbers. Works a treat.

• texas_hippie

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:19 AM

DON'T USE GASOLINE or goo off, or any other petroleum distillate that comes from the bottom of the distilling tower. It will prevent new graphics from sticking properly.

MEK
Benzine
Acetone
Laquer Thinner
Brake cleaner

Benzine! Can you even buy that anymore in Cali? It's a proven carcinogen, and MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), has been banned for use by the military.:banana:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:31 AM

Benzine! Can you even buy that anymore in Cali? It's a proven carcinogen, and MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), has been banned for use by the military.:banana:

The military doesn't have 5mil graphics to remove!

• texas_hippie

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:44 AM

That's true....our graphics are 8mil. Just pointing out, that MEK is toxic through the skin. I used to practically bathe in the stuff, until I found out it was a death sentence.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.