BREATHER TUBE

5 replies to this topic
  • ACTIONMAN

Posted July 17, 2002 - 08:46 AM

WHICH BREATHER TUBE AND WHERE IS IT LOCATED THAT SUCKS IN AIR? ALSO, IS THERE A WAY TO AFFIX A FILTER TO IT THAT WOULD NOT HINDER AIR FLOW?

• SoCalWR426

Posted July 17, 2002 - 01:33 PM

There's some very in depth answers in history/search. Don't mean to put you off but theres about 2-days of reading there that will answer any possible answer known to man.

SoCal

• ACTIONMAN

Posted July 17, 2002 - 02:01 PM

THANKS SOCAL,
IFOUND OUT A BUNCH AND AM NOW LOOKING AT THE WAY TO "T; IT OFF AND RUN A LINE TO THE AIRBOX, BUT CANT FIGURE OUT EXACTLY THE BEST WAY TO ROUTE IT OR WHERE EXACTLY TO CONNECT IT TO THE AIRBOX. ANY THOUGHTS?
THE HISTORY IS A BUNCH OF PIECE WORK WITHOUT ONE GUY GOING HERES HOW YA DO IT.
THANKS ALOT

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • keith

Posted July 17, 2002 - 05:16 PM

applied racing makes an 8mm billet filter for the xr650 that looks like it could work

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 18, 2002 - 04:10 AM

There has been several approaches to this problem:

1 - install a PVC valve in the line to ensure high pressure blows out, but a vacuum (as the engine is kicked over) shuts the check valve.

2 - Re-route the head vent. I have mine re-routed up behind the # plate/headlight. I used a (1/2"?) piece of clear, flexible tygon tubing. I stuck in a piece of oiled foam into the tygon to allow some filtering action. The problem w/ this is IF you get water into the hose, it has a gravity fed, clear shot into your engine.

3 - the combination of the first two using a T fitting, w/ the T being at the lowest point. This will allow drainage out of the tube out the PVC valve, while allowing any air the engine needs to be drawn in through the high vent.

4 - if you run the vent into your airbox, definitely use a filter for the end of it. Eric Gorr DOES use this method in his approach to this problem.

I DO have damage to my cylinder from this exact issue.

• Fryboy

Posted July 20, 2002 - 07:25 PM

Check this link for a cool little carb vent kit

http://www.pcracingusa.com/carvent.htm

Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.