YZ450F vs. RMZ450

18 replies to this topic
  • bnyfe

Posted January 08, 2009 - 07:33 PM

All right guys, I know I may take some abuse for this question, and I am certain that I know the answer is never but...here goes...

I own an 08 YZ450F and today I had a chance to try an 07 RMZ450 which leads to my question:

Is there any way possible at all to get my YZF to handle (ie steer) like the RMZ? And please don't give me that bologna that the YZF handles just as good. The RMZ carves circles around my bike...I mean the thing practically turns itself!!! It was effortless to get around the corners compared to my bike.

The RMZ didn't have the suspenders...no doubt. And my motor was light years stronger...but goodness...I think I could probably live with all the yellow problems for the incredible turning prowess of the that little sweety.

Sorry, I've been die hard Yami for years. But please tell me how to get my Yamaha to turn like that Suzuki???

• qwik12beat

Posted January 08, 2009 - 07:49 PM

Whats your size?Weight?riding style?

• bnyfe

Posted January 08, 2009 - 09:47 PM

5' 9" 180 motocross rider sand tracks - I always get expert suspension although not an expert

• heykenny

Posted January 08, 2009 - 09:57 PM

the bottom line is this.. suspension is easy to change... engines are easy to change... whether it be valving/springs... exhaust.. you can relatively easily change almost any aspect of a bike but one... basic geometry and layout...I'm not saying you can't try(offset clamps e.t.c) but lets face it you can't call ProCircuit and order a great turning frame

• YZ450t

Posted January 08, 2009 - 10:16 PM

I faced the same problem . My soninlaws RMX and my 450YZ . And yes,I had the same thought . I got pretty close ,actually real close ,but there are some trade offs . I was able to actually turn under ,inside my lines on his bike stock as the day we picked it up compared to my YZ. I ended up pulling the fork tubes as far as I could ,lightening up a couple clicks on the dampening . The rear ,it seems that my YZ is real touchy on sag ,actually felt ok until the forks got pulled up ,lightened up the spring almost 1/4 inch more sag . Complete different ride now , now he is the berm :thinking: Only draw back ...Now I have rode alot faster (younger) back aways . Had Honda CR's . They were known for head shake . Now I have just a little bit when braking hard on rough ground . Nothing that bothers me at all, I explain thats how I turn,get it swapping ,then plant a foot and HOLD ON:foul: . Another friend has a 45OYZ with a steering dampener , that may be another "toy" for later . He rode mine and says his bike doesnt turn well now...:smirk: Too bad:lol:

• husqy360

Posted January 09, 2009 - 01:26 AM

i wouldnt trade my 450 for 07rmz even the rc edition.
it feel cramped for me, might work better in tight mx tracks and for better riders. (im just over 6 feet)
turning is amazing yes, somtimes even to fast.
rmz head shake in high speed, might was suspension settings.
engines are very close, yz still have more grunt.

Posted Image

go yz. :thinking:

• ryzman

Posted January 09, 2009 - 03:09 AM

the yzf is well and truely a about setup.. had my supension done by a yamaha factory rider which he works in a loca shop to md he did my valving.. he put another 25 extra shims i the ar shock and i've got a few othe rchanges like bars, top clamp, forks on first line all the usal mods... and i have no problem with it turning or head shake.... but i do keep my sag dead on 98mm because i can tell if its goes off either head shake or not turning to well,

also micelin s12 front tyre 90/90 21 is the tyrr me beet the ms3 hands down!!

• qwik12beat

Posted January 09, 2009 - 07:37 AM

If i were you, i would get a 24mm offset triple clamp of your choice,move your bars forward,sag around 98mm, and pull your forks up in the clamps 5mm. Then see where your at.:thinking: If you have the funds i would top off this setup with a steering stabilizer.

• Yamkifour

Posted January 09, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Totally agree with qiwk12beat. I got the offset adj axle and run 23.5mm offset, raised the fork 6mm, dropped the radiators with DR D, set sag at 98mm,and bike was great. Then I got the Air Cells subtanks and now bike is amazingly awesome. Turns and sticks anywhere you want it. Oh yeah also SDG stepped seat keeps me planted and allows me to accel very hard and hold line through turn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ450t

Posted January 09, 2009 - 09:19 AM

Totally agree with qiwk12beat. I got the offset adj axle and run 23.5mm offset, raised the fork 6mm, dropped the radiators with DR D, set sag at 98mm,and bike was great. Then I got the Air Cells subtanks and now bike is amazingly awesome. Turns and sticks anywhere you want it. Oh yeah also SDG stepped seat keeps me planted and allows me to accel very hard and hold line through turn.

Dang you guys...I did the "tweak what I had" thing ...now looks like Im gonna go shopping ...thanx:banghead: :thinking:

• MotoXT

Posted January 09, 2009 - 10:52 AM

bnyfe - take a look here, you may find it helpful: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=728236

• bnyfe

Posted January 09, 2009 - 08:41 PM

ok guys...thanks a lot for your input here. I am first going to re=evaluate my set up and then perhaps try the offset clamps or axle...I would definitely like it turn better...so here we go....:thinking:

• Yamkifour

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:05 AM

I love the rekluse axle, alot cheaper and many different setting options. Takes about 60 sec to change settings.

• gtxkid

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:47 AM

You have to have a good suspention guy.
I have two friend that have Suz and both of them done the suspention anyway. only one of them is going back to a Yamaha, the other is happy.
Hard question because certian bikes fit certan people i think.
I have had nothing but Yam and have rode the others, i will stay with Yam
I do like suz thow and thought that i might say if i ever changed to anything different it would be Suz.
You can realy dial in a bike with good suspention guy that will work with you to get not just springs and valving corect but handle bar hight and width, seat, watch you ride, adjust for power, I have a realy good suspention guy

• bnyfe

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, I will likely stick with Yami forever. Just can't beat their durability and suspension. Additionally, no offense or trash talk intended, the Suzuki just isn't up to to speed quality wise with the Yami.

• bnyfe

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:29 AM

I love the rekluse axle, alot cheaper and many different setting options. Takes about 60 sec to change settings.

Have you used this on your YZ450F. According to MXA the rekluse axle should only be used for testing purposed and not long term???

• Yamkifour

Posted January 10, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Have you used this on your YZ450F. According to MXA the rekluse axle should only be used for testing purposed and not long term???

Straight from Rekluse web sight quoted below, I have Never heard or seen it mentioned as a temporary item>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rekluse e-Axle is an eccentric axle assembly which replaces the stock front wheel axle.
The e-Axle allows the rider to instantly tune the steering characteristics of their motorcycle
to meet changing riding conditions. Within minutes the rider may adjust the e-Axle over a 4
millimeter range, achieving instant trail adjustment without the cost and hassle of offset triple
clamps. There is no perfect offset for every rider or every riding condition. Only the e-
Axle makes it possible to instantly adjust and utilize the best offset for every riding condition.
The Rekluse e-Axle is made of heat-treated, precision ground 17-4PH solid stainless steel
and despite the smaller diameter is designed to provide greater strength than the stock axle.
So ride your e-Axle everywhere and have the ability to adjust to unexpected changes in riding
conditions.
Now available for the following models:
Yes all my listed mods in this forurm are on my 2007 YZ450F

• MotoXT

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:31 PM

Rekluse does not make a set-up for the '08, so I had to have it customized to work. If you want to try it you will need to have spacers machined, and a couple of items on e-axle machined to shorter length, namely the left side bushing and axle. Last, but not least, you need to modify your left fork lug to accept the bushing. It was a pain to get done and in the end I don't think it made a big difference, which is why I'm probably going to try the 17mm Zip Ty set up.

• bnyfe

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:42 PM

thanks for the info. I think I will look into the Zip Tie Racing 17mm offset as well.
:thinking:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.