How fast is the 08 450f

10 replies to this topic
  • BlueRider450f

Posted January 08, 2009 - 12:02 PM

Just woundering the top end speed on the 08 yz450f is.:thinking:

• Wiz636

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:33 PM

Don't know for sure, but we had a paved airstrip that was part of a hare scramble course last summer and there was a radar display board towards the end. With my bike geared at 14/48 I clocked four times at 88mph but I was still accelerating (barely) for about 100 yds past the radar before having to get on the brakes for the corner. That was helmet on the bar pad and with my left arm tucked down on the gas tank. It felt like I could have sqeezed 95mph out of it with a little more room.

I think with the stock 13/49 gearing I would have maxxed out my speed before the radar around (and this is pure speculation) 80 mph.

• jonova

Posted January 08, 2009 - 03:25 PM

I did some calcs. If anyone sees an error, please let me know and I'll correct it. I used the stock rear wheel but different tire size as I run a 120/100. If you want to know a specific top speed for a scenario I don't have, just reply or PM me and I'll plug it in. I didn't know how to post the excel file directly.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2009 - 04:02 PM

A simpler, and often more accurate, calculation can be done by simply measuring the rolling radius of the rear wheel. My numbers vary from yours by 4%, but I usually use an arbitrary 27" for the rear wheel diameter.

A couple of points about calculated speeds are that it is very difficult for a YZF to pull high gear past about 10K because the power drops off fairly hard at that RPM, and such calculations don't take into account the slippage of the rear tire. On pavement, at that kind of speed, a knobby will loose at least 5% of the calculated speed. On a dirt track, using half-mile tires, it's closer to 10%, and on most off-road surfaces, tire slippage accounts for 10-20% or more.

• qwik12beat

Posted January 08, 2009 - 07:57 PM

Im not sure how the 07 matches up to the 08, but i clocked my 07 yz450 at 86.7mph. Completely stock bike on pavement measured by a handheld gps. I didnt hit the revlimiter, and there was no elevation change(flat road).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:14 PM

MY 06 YZ with 13/50 tops out at 83mph on a hard pack dirt road.

The chart looks pretty close:thumbsup:

• Sharp Shooter

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:56 PM

I've got completely stock 06 and I also ran 86 with a hand held GPS on a dry lake bed at 2,000 ft altitude.

My YZ250 went 73.

• jonova

Posted January 09, 2009 - 07:53 AM

A simpler, and often more accurate, calculation can be done by simply measuring the rolling radius of the rear wheel. My numbers vary from yours by 4%, but I usually use an arbitrary 27" for the rear wheel diameter.

A couple of points about calculated speeds are that it is very difficult for a YZF to pull high gear past about 10K because the power drops off fairly hard at that RPM, and such calculations don't take into account the slippage of the rear tire. On pavement, at that kind of speed, a knobby will loose at least 5% of the calculated speed. On a dirt track, using half-mile tires, it's closer to 10%, and on most off-road surfaces, tire slippage accounts for 10-20% or more.

I'm with ya 110% grayracer. Rear Wheel dia is ~28.5", there is your 4% to 5.25%. After looking at some dyno sheets last night and found that the peak HP is at about 9000 rpm, 11000 was too high of an estimate, so I split the difference, kinda. I have found that on pavement these calcs are within about 5mph. In dirt it is about 10-12mph slower than the chart.

• erickdj

Posted January 09, 2009 - 09:43 AM

lets just say that it's faster than you need it to be while riding on dirt.

• WGP

Posted January 09, 2009 - 01:00 PM

Is it ok to hold my bike wide open for minutes at a time, like on a dry lake bed?
I always think the thing is going to explode or something:jawdrop:

• jonova

Posted January 09, 2009 - 01:10 PM

Is it ok to hold my bike wide open for minutes at a time, like on a dry lake bed?
I always think the thing is going to explode or something:jawdrop:

It can take it as long as you have the jetting right.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.