f250 diesel losing power

33 replies to this topic
  • splitpunk

Posted January 08, 2009 - 06:40 AM

Truck loosing power it is an 06 turbo diesel. air filter is clean radiator was blocked with mud but that has been cleaned out . Help! need to go riding and pulling my toyhauler back from ocotilio wells last week truck was getting hot.
what are possibel reasons.
Or should i just take it to the dealer?

• xjeeper

Posted January 08, 2009 - 04:37 PM

If it is on warranty take it to the dealer, If it overheated I would suspect a blown head gasket, blown egr cooler, if the tranny cooler was blocked it could be a trans problem. Sniff the trans dipstick t check for a burned smell, check the engine oil for coolant, look for white marks from coolant blown out of the resovoir cap, either of these will cause the deaer to suspect the egrcooler/oil cooler, and or head gaskets. Be verypolite to the dealer because a mud blocked cooling system is not covered by the warranty.

• YzGuy79

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:04 PM

The infamous 6.0-no! Any warranty left? If not, better get the wallet warmed up. It's got a tough job ahead.

• surfib

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:48 PM

buddy had to leave his 6.0 in baja cause it blew a head gasket, wasnt towing either!
There is a reason why the 6.0 in unreliable, they make more power than the old 7.3 did, with 1.3 liters less displacement. Making more power with a smaller displacement is a bad thing!!!!

You run the risk of overheating, which you may have well done, even though you may not have blown the headgasket completely, its well on its way. Loss of power after motor getting hot is a tell tale sign.

Hope for warranty repair, and I wouldn't say a word about mud blocking the radiator!

• madera4x4

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:08 PM

The over heat was caused by the rad being blocked.How bad did it over heat?
When was the last time you changed the fuel filters..both of them?

• splitpunk

Posted January 09, 2009 - 06:40 AM

I cleaned the radiator and truck seems to be running well not over heatring. power seems to be back i think I may be jumping the gun still a lot of mud under the hood and around radiator shroud have washed truck 5 or 6 times.
had a little too much fun in the mud over new years. I think I will spray radiator one more time and then Take it in.

• rmzracer289

Posted January 09, 2009 - 09:48 AM

Could the turbo need cleaning? I have heard rumors of ford diesels turbos getting clogged up easily. But that could be just a rumor I dont know...

• xjeeper

Posted January 09, 2009 - 10:12 AM

These 6.0 horror stories are over rated, they do happen, mostly due to tuners and modules that are too aggressive causing the higher EGTs to flashboil the coolant in the EGR cooler, leading to blown headgskets. Often the problem goes unnoticed for a while until it gets really bad. The headbolts are torque to yield and excessive cylinder pressure will stretch them. I am on my 2nd 6.0 truck and love them they are fast smooth and relatively economical. There are simple and cheap fixes for the EGR cooler problems that will eliminate most failures, look on a powerstroke message board for info. I would rather drive the 6.0 ford, add the fixes, and use some restraint on the power adders, than drive a dodge truck with a cummins motor(A ford truck with a cummins and a built allision trans would be ideal for me), I am not knocking the Dodge truck if you like it great.

• rezrider

Posted January 09, 2009 - 03:59 PM

The infamous 6.0-no! Any warranty left? If not, better get the wallet warmed up. It's got a tough job ahead.

Got that right...

Not to say this is the problem however, I hear these things rolling up Main street sounding like crap...spittin and sputtering...Is that due to the turbo(s)?

• Chickenhauler

Posted January 09, 2009 - 04:54 PM

I cleaned the radiator and truck seems to be running well not over heatring. power seems to be back i think I may be jumping the gun still a lot of mud under the hood and around radiator shroud have washed truck 5 or 6 times.
had a little too much fun in the mud over new years. I think I will spray radiator one more time and then Take it in.

You said the radiator was plugged with mud.....did you get the air-to-air intercooler cleaned out also?

A mud clogged intercooler will not do it's job, and cause the air that is super-heated in the turbo to be pumped into the intake with little to no drop in temp.

This will cause a power loss.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Themanofallmen

Posted January 09, 2009 - 06:19 PM

Could the turbo need cleaning? I have heard rumors of ford diesels turbos getting clogged up easily. But that could be just a rumor I dont know...

05 E350 6.0 diesel work van just had the Turbo EGR Cleaned and a fuel injector module replaced to tune of $1800, before that it was the glow plugs and faulty recall cam sensor, before that it was the turbo itself needed replaced to the tune of $1300, all before 60,000 miles and luckily it was all under warranty. I personally would not purchase anouther ford diesel. And the day after I get it back the check engine light still comes on but still runs.

• xrmarty

Posted January 09, 2009 - 06:24 PM

If you do end up taking it to the dealer make sure you clean off ALL the mud as it will void your warrenty if you have any left. They look for any excuse to make you pay out of your pocket. Ford is notorious for that.

• brad the best

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:18 PM

buddy had to leave his 6.0 in baja cause it blew a head gasket, wasnt towing either!
There is a reason why the 6.0 in unreliable, they make more power than the old 7.3 did, with 1.3 liters less displacement. Making more power with a smaller displacement is a bad thing!!!!

radiator!

how do you explain the 5.9 Cummins that blows them both out of the water for being only a 5.9 and making way more power , or the 6.6 Duramax . even a 3116 cat (marine) is around 6 liters and makes more power and is more reliable .

• brad the best

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:20 PM

You said the radiator was plugged with mud.....did you get the air-to-air intercooler cleaned out also?

A mud clogged intercooler will not do it's job, and cause the air that is super-heated in the turbo to be pumped into the intake with little to no drop in temp.

This will cause a power loss.

agreed .

does your truck smoke at all ?

i would check the turbo first , its easy and its usually the first thing to go on a diesel (constantly being heated and cooled and under pressure plus spinning at 100 000 rpm)

take it to a shop , i would go to a dealer for warantee , if its under warantee.

clogged cat ?

• chris142

Posted January 11, 2009 - 08:22 PM

how do you explain the 5.9 Cummins that blows them both out of the water for being only a 5.9 and making way more power , or the 6.6 Duramax . even a 3116 cat (marine) is around 6 liters and makes more power and is more reliable .

Longer stroke.

• Chickenhauler

Posted January 11, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Another thing to look into-when's the last time you changed the fuel filter?

• DRX350

Posted January 11, 2009 - 08:53 PM

Those 6.0's are notorious for being turbo destroyers. If the temps went down and the power came back, you're probably fine. As a safe measure, you may want to take it to the dealer and demand that they check the turbine shaft play, or check the output pressure on the turbo and be sure that they tell you the PSI, and check it yourself online or in a service manual +/- 1PSI.

• brad the best

Posted January 11, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Longer stroke.

everyones legendary 7.3's bore 4.18

the 6.0 4.13

not much of a difference there .

as for the rest they all have longer strokes but are all under square engines with basically the same ratio of bore to stroke .

I think the reliability of the 6.0 has more to do with the aluminum heads , people not warming them up or letting them cool down . and the crappy fuel system .

plus those dahm glow plugs from hell .

• DRX350

Posted January 11, 2009 - 09:46 PM

uhh, the bore is not the stroke...

The 7.3 has much longer stroke than either the 6.0 or the 6.4. hence why it won't rev much past 3,500 RPM (happily, anyway), and the modern thing can rev 4,000.

• splitpunk

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:55 AM

ok here is what the dealer said : There is a sensor that was not working properly so they changed the sensor and added an exterior fan to the mix.
The o6 has a component that once hot hot alterernates pistons and slows down the engine as to not blow anything up.
once they changed the sensor and installed fan and I as wll as them removed more dirt turning it to mud it seems to work just fine.
I have not had a trailer hauled since so we will see.
The service rider also said that the mechanics are not used to working on trucks that actually are used. Seems even big tough auto mechanics are getting pussified in the new America we live in. ( No offensise to those not afraid of Mud and gunk)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.