hour meter quick ??

18 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:46 PM

ok i just got my hourmeter and going to install it on my bike today but im just wondering if the tape they give you is strong and not going to rip off..

could i just drill and tap into my frame by the steering stem so i no it wont come off. or is that a bad idea?

• davcon

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:13 PM

Installed mine last nite. Used the two zip ties to attach it to the cable running on the left side near the stem. Probably a bad idea to drill the frame.

• Wiz636

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:15 PM

I zip-tied mine to the throttle cables on the right side of the steering head.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:20 PM

I drilled and tapped mine into the right side of the frame near the steering head. I do NOT trust that tape, as it used to come loose constantly, despite carefully cleaning the frame prior to applying the tape.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:41 PM

I drilled and tapped mine into the right side of the frame near the steering head. I do NOT trust that tape, as it used to come loose constantly, despite carefully cleaning the frame prior to applying the tape.

yea thats what i was gunna do, i really dont think drilling to 1/4holes or smaller is going to hurt anything

• William1

Posted January 07, 2009 - 02:28 PM

If the frame is 100% clean, the tape will never come off.

I made a bracket that it mounts to and it uses the front tank bolt. A company makes the same thing. Just a peice of 4mm aluminum, tapped for the meter and a hole for the mount, bent at about a 20 degree angle.

• Justin89

Posted January 07, 2009 - 02:35 PM

I went 212hrs with mine..only used the tape:thumbsup:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:33 PM

well i used the tape that came with it and ill see how it holds up..

btw i started the bike and it said the RMPS so i no its working but when does it start counting. its still reading at 00000.. imguessing after 10 min its going to to read 0.01 right?

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:43 PM

After 6 minutes it should read 0.1.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted January 08, 2009 - 07:48 AM

Use zip ties and tie it to the throttle cables... I wouldn't drill a hole in my frame, that part of the frame goes through quite a workout.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:23 AM

After 6 minutes it should read 0.1.

ok thanks i only had the bike running for a couple min

• oldmanx

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:04 AM

I need some help. Maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong. I mounted a Yamaha meter on my WR450 last night and it doesn't appear to be working. I realize that it won't show time after just a couple of minutes of run time, but it would not show rpm's...there was no change in the display from off to running. The directions on the package said to make 4 or 5 wraps around the sparkplug wire. I made these wraps around both wires, right where they go into the connector that plugs into the spark plug/coil. Is this correct? Or do I just wrap one of the wires? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:17 AM

I need some help. Maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong. I mounted a Yamaha meter on my WR450 last night and it doesn't appear to be working. I realize that it won't show time after just a couple of minutes of run time, but it would not show rpm's...there was no change in the display from off to running. The directions on the package said to make 4 or 5 wraps around the sparkplug wire. I made these wraps around both wires, right where they go into the connector that plugs into the spark plug/coil. Is this correct? Or do I just wrap one of the wires? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.

I wraped my around the sparkplug boot. also did you get a TACH and HOURMETER or just a hourmeter?

• oldmanx

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:17 AM

Its the Yamaha hour meter...don't have the part # with me right now. I thought that it said that it displays RPMs while running and cummulative runtime when the bike is shut off.
Did you wrap around the boot where it's down inside the head or above the head?

• Smokeslider

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:55 AM

above the head, I purchased the yamaha meter when I bought my bike and it is just a hourmeter.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:32 PM

With the late model ('03 and later) YZ/WR using the coil in the plug boot, you need to wind the wire around the barrel of the coil assembly below the seal on top of the cam cover. The harness wiring above that point are low voltage, and don't produce a strong enough signal to trigger the tach/hour meter.

• oldmanx

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks Gray!! Does it still require 4 - 5 wraps around the boot? Would it be best to secure the wraps with electrical tape or ?? Surely a there isn't room for a cable tie, is there?

Now I hope that I didn't cut the wire too short...

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:45 PM

Does it still require 4 - 5 wraps around the boot? Would it be best to secure the wraps with electrical tape or ??

3-4 should be enough, but the more the merrier. It should stay put on its own.

If it's too short, splice on a piece of insulated solid copper the same approximate gauge, and use that. Leave the splice on the outside.

• oldmanx

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:43 AM

Thanks again Gray!! Once again, you were a big help. Both the YZ and WR now have functioning rpm/hour meters!!
Also, the YZ fired yesterday after about the 6th kick...after a new piston/rings and intake valve replacement...my first foray into 4 stroke maintenance. A big THANKS go to you and all those who post helpful info here.
Also a big thanks goes to my local support group...the Maz clan...even though they bleed red...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.