2008 to 2009 rear wheel bearing?

2 replies to this topic
  • tnat1

Posted January 07, 2009 - 08:51 AM

Im helping a friend out who just got a 09 yz450f, he has some rad hubs which have the 25mm ID rear wheel bearings, ive bored out the shoulder on the rad hub spacers as they were a 25mm OD on the shoulder to fit in the bearing so now the axle rides directly on the rear wheel bearing, i called up Rad and they said its ok. Im just 2nd guessing myself will it be OK for the axle to ride on the bearing i beleive the OEM hubs are the same, ive looked into getting bearing replacements all i found is 28MM ID x 52MM OD x 12MM thick, the current bearings are 15mm thick but the Rad hub doesnt currently have a outer hub seal they just use the spacer that covers the entire bearing. I dont think that the 12MM width would affect the reliability that much, what do you think. I also interprete that the reason they used the 25 mm ID bearings is there is more of a selection, theres not much of a selection for 28MM ID bearings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:17 AM

The stock wheel bearings ride directly on the axle; there's no reason the RAD ones shouldn't. As far as bearing width goes, that usually indicates larger or smaller balls. Smaller balls would ostensibly wear more quickly, but given the same OD, and a larger ID, one would guess there would be more balls in the cartridge (e.g. 8 instead of 7), which would balance out the area lost by the smaller size.

• tnat1

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:27 AM

As always thanks Grayracer!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.