New 09 YZ 450 F

25 replies to this topic
  • honda907

Posted January 21, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Well I went with the Dr. D pipe because I couldn't find one negative comment on it. I also got the lowering kit for the radiators(You have to use the pipe for this mod). I will break it in at NEMX this Saturday, Hopefully. Also got a fuel screw,and a holeshot device. I think I'm set for the first half of the year.

• honda907

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:09 PM

I just got back from NEMX tonight and I would say that Yamaha 450 flat out beats my Honda. I thought it turned real well, clutch is butter smooth. and I thought the stock power was great. It reved better than my Honda for sure! The stock exhaust sounds very tinny and blown out. I haven't got the Dr. D pipe or anything. Just rode it stock, set the sag at 103 and rode slow for half the night. By the end of the night I was doing every thing! doubles, triple and tabletops. I was very pleased. And I thought it turned really well with the stock tires. Bike felt nimble and light. Fuel injection HAHA. I like the carb.

You know what though, it does seem to be a hard bike to start, hot or cold. Any tricks guys?

• racer 813

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:29 PM

It will get better.... Mine was hell to start when it was new. I don't now what your weather is like but it seems to be a little lean down low which makes for hard starting. I went to a bigger pilot. You could probly get away with opening up the fuel screw and givin it a few real good wacks of the throttle before trying to start it. That should help a little!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted January 25, 2009 - 09:00 AM

I've had great luck with 1 or 2 kick starts doing:

cold: choke on, 5 squirts of throttle, 5 slow top-to-bottom strokes of the kickstarter, no gas, one good kick. Fire!

hot: hot start, absolutely no throttle, one or two quick kicks. Fire.

You know what though, it does seem to be a hard bike to start, hot or cold. Any tricks guys?

• gregory25

Posted January 26, 2009 - 04:29 PM

greg, i to own a 08 yz 450, stock muffler sucks!! put the fmf factory 4.1 and it really woke the bike up, ajustable fuel screw is a must, the bike is sesitive to tempature change, good luck.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:19 PM

My new 08 started on the 3rd kick in 10 degree weather, never ran before that.

Choke on, 3 blips and no throttle thereafter, snaaaaap to life. By the way the DR D system in great and no need for any carb mods on this thing. Just a tiny adjustment to the fuel screw. Don't even waste your money on an extended screw, a tiny screwdriver is all you need and it won't fall out of your carb on raceday.

The stock grips have to go and thats about it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.