Questions about 03 WR450

8 replies to this topic
  • hillclimbguy

Posted January 06, 2009 - 11:27 PM

Ok guys got some questions about my 450. Getting ready to take it for a ride to set up suspension and work some bugs out.
Have a question about the air box. The snorkel behind the battery has only two passages. Is there a modification for the air box?
The jetting that was in the bike is 48 pilot stock needle OBDUT and in the 4th slot. 168 main jet. 160 is stock.
Came with FMF titanium complete system with quiet core inside muffler.
Also came with some needles. I'm guessing that they are JD because of the color code on the tips. I have one blue and one red. Thanks for any advice.:thinking: :smirk:

• SXP

Posted January 07, 2009 - 06:46 AM

Dave - Drop the JD Red needle in. 5th notch from top, 45 pilot and 165 main. Fuel screw at 1.5 turns to start with, and fine tune from there. You probably want to do the O-ring mod, too. Or, send the carb off to Zip-Ty for the carb mod - the earlier carbs do well with it - about $100.

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 07, 2009 - 07:49 AM

Dave - Drop the JD Red needle in. 5th notch from top, 45 pilot and 165 main. Fuel screw at 1.5 turns to start with, and fine tune from there. You probably want to do the O-ring mod, too. Or, send the carb off to Zip-Ty for the carb mod - the earlier carbs do well with it - about $100.

Thank you. I'll get on that with the red needle. I'll let you know how it goes.:thinking:

• KennyMc

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:39 AM

Dave,

I don't know if the 03 is the same as the 07 but I took out the snorkle which leaves just one big hole.

Ken

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted January 07, 2009 - 11:07 AM

I was looking at that. I'm going to do the same. Lot of restriction in there. These bikes come with Asthma from the factory.

• roushxteam199

Posted January 07, 2009 - 04:10 PM

rip it out. grab a pair of pliers and cling on hard to the snorkel and pull. it comes out. i did it to my 03

• CanadianWR450

Posted January 07, 2009 - 04:12 PM

I have a 04, you can pull the snorkel out completely, and the airbox comes complete with "templates" molded into them on the left hand side, under the cover, on the outside....just cut them out with a exacto knife. I glued screens over the holes to keep the bigger crap out of the airbox at least.
If you not doing "grey wire" mod, throttle stop, etc....you prolly don't need to do the cut outs.

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 07, 2009 - 08:56 PM

I'm heading out the garage now to rip that sucker out. I'll let you guys know tomarrow how it runs. First real ride after all this was sitting on my work bench.

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:08 PM

I did a quick ride this morning. Wanted to make sure no coolant leaks or oil leaks. Jetting seems spot on. Thanks for all the help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.