TT newbie

6 replies to this topic
  • bluefam52

Posted January 06, 2009 - 06:08 PM

First timer here! I just got an 08 WR450 and have to say the thing is an awesome ride. I converted from an 03 XR650L what a pig on single track and tight stuff not to mention in the air. Enough about that this site is full of useful information and the first place I go for any thing with all of the bikes I have in the trailer. I am looking for sag numbers for the WR to start setting the suspension as it launched me this last week, wish someone had a cammera.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 06, 2009 - 11:50 PM

Welcome!

Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you already know about the free mods and all that garbage.

95mm-100mm of sag is about right.

• atitagain

Posted January 07, 2009 - 05:08 AM

Welcome!
LOTS of great info on this site. Enjoy that new ride!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluefam52

Posted January 07, 2009 - 08:27 AM

Thanks, I'll get the bike out this week end and tweek and play with it. All the free mods will be done before the next ride. Any sugestions on where I can order the AIS kit. I refuse to go to the local dealer in Ventura.

• alfie

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Welcome to the forum. congrats on your wr 450 you will love it. Im sure the guys in the tt store can help you with the ais kit.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 07, 2009 - 04:13 PM

Thanks, I'll get the bike out this week end and tweek and play with it. All the free mods will be done before the next ride. Any sugestions on where I can order the AIS kit. I refuse to go to the local dealer in Ventura.

Pull the baffle out of the muffler (the whole thing, not just the riveted in black part)

168 main jet, 48 pilot for starters. You can source a needle and fine tune later. O-ringing the a/p linkage helps throttle response and removing the anti tamper plug and installing an adjustable fuel screw are also good ideas.

Remove snorkle from airbox. Should leave a sizeable hole behind the battery.

Unplug gray wire from the connector behind the left side numberplate.

Remove throttle stop, cut to 23.5mm total length, re-instal.

About the AIS you have two ways to go about it. You can use vaccum plugs to cap the airbox and intake side fittings, then you can fab a block off plate out of 1/4" steel plate for the exhaust port hole. Or you can just JB weld the three ports on the AIS pump and keep all the crap on there.

A mechanically inclined rider could do this all on the cheap. Do a search on here for stuff you may not be familliar with as its been discussed in great detail. Its exponentially easier just to get the GTYR kit.

http://www.thumperta...t=439173&page=2

• bluefam52

Posted January 08, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for all of the information. This site really is the first and last place any one needs to go for info. I'll get this stuff and work on the bike and let you all know how it turned out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.