Has anyone?

7 replies to this topic
  • RUFF_RYDER

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:56 PM

I know its pointless to drag but in every mag it seems like they bash the yz saying its slower due to the carb and pipe.

So i just want to know if anyone has raced or riddin any of the newer FI bikes and if they really feel that much faster

• Racer808

Posted January 06, 2009 - 06:23 PM

I know its pointless to drag but in every mag it seems like they bash the yz saying its slower due to the carb and pipe.

So i just want to know if anyone has raced or riddin any of the newer FI bikes and if they really feel that much faster

I dont think so. I thought my friends 2009 honda 450 felt about the same as my 08 yz450 did stock. The suspension was nice, but all brand new bikes feel that way. the throttle is instant and smoothe, but my carb bike doesnt bog unless I do something stupid. I was really suprised at how hard it was to start the honda, the solution was to turn the idle way up, but I think that affected its track performance. My 08 is jetted spot on with a yosh pipe and the bike flat rips, personally I am in no rush to get an efi bike and will ride my 08 till 2010 or 2011 depending on what comes out.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:42 PM

I don't recall anyone saying it was slow because it has a carb. The pipe gets fairly blamed often enough. Anyone who pins power or the lack of it on the simple question of whether or not a bike has EFI or not is giving away a secret about how much he knows, if you ask me.

Far too many of the mags say stuff that has no basis in reality. There are only one or two that I consider objective and knowledgeable. Even then, they can be caught saying stuff that just makes no sense.

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:54 PM

I rode a F I bike, wont bring in brands. Too many of my buddies on here. So no favorites. But the smoothness was nice. Just felt like jetting was spot on. Did not feel that overall horsepower was better. Just felt real precise.
Am I going to sell my blue bike to get one? Not hardly. To me, not worth refinancing my house or keeping the kids out of college to buy F I. Just my two cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted January 06, 2009 - 09:22 PM

I personally would not want an fi bike untill 2012, and maybe not even then. It just seems to me that there is more to go wrong and fi parts are not cheep and most people dont have the knowhow to work on them. To me the simplicity of cleaning and dialing a carb is just better in my opinion. especially when the bike already runs better and faster than any rider can push it.

• Kasjok

Posted January 06, 2009 - 11:36 PM

It was raved (and still is) that with FI the fuel-air ration will always be spot on and does not need you to hussel with jets or anything. But now reading all the talk about FI it seems that all of them are off with the ration and the stupidest point is that you need to buy some expensive stuff to make corrections, while with a carb you can get everything done with the price of a few jets.

• jtucker42

Posted June 15, 2010 - 04:09 PM

has anyone had any issues with the 2010 yz 450 having a bog under accelaration

• moto278

Posted June 15, 2010 - 06:21 PM

idk about other brands, or other 10 yz450f owners. but my bike is dialed 100%. i even tried to make it bog nd it wouldnt. if u can crack it open fast enough it may rev up a hair slower, but not extremely noticable. as for know-how to fix it. i have a manual and the best way to learn is by doing. thats how i did everything with a carb, nd thats how i will with everything else. fi are more pricey when they need to be replaced. but i dont think alot of ppl keep their bikes around long enough to worry about that. i do though. but the price to build a fi system that goes to crap. nd say a top end, are cheaper than buyin a new bike(brand new, not neccesarily new-used)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.