Milk color oil?

6 replies to this topic
  • CyclePro238

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:08 PM

I have a 01 YZ426, Not 100% sure on how many hours are on the motor. I know it hasn't been opend up befor, as I know both owners of the bike. Today after I got done riding I noticed the oil that was dripping out of the valve cover hose was looking a little milky. Today would have been the last ride befor changing out the oil. Could this be the oil Breaking down or does it sound more like its getting water or coolent in the motor? The oil is a 10W50.

Thanks, Nick

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:14 PM

It probably is nothing more than moisture getting into your breather hose itself. It's fairly common. If the oil itself shows no signs of the same thing happening, I wouldn't worry about it.

• CyclePro238

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:15 PM

After I think about it, The bike did sit in the rain for like 10min (didn't know it was raining) the other night. I will drain the oil and see what it looks like. Thanks for the input.

Nick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:39 PM

Like gray said, it is probably just condensation. When you change the oil, if it comes out looking milky then that is a sign that water is in your oil, and you may have a problem. However coming out of the breather hose looking milky like that happens quite often when there is no problem.

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:01 PM

Well spotted. Check the oil, as stated above. If it comes out milky start looking at things like water pump seals and so on.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:46 PM

...If (the oil) comes out milky start looking at things like water pump seals and so on.

The water pump seals can't cause it. If the coolant seal leaks, the coolant escapes into a gap between the oil and coolant seal that is open to the outside, specifically so that the oil won't be contaminated.

• ECKS-Man

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:08 PM

Well there ya go, learn something new every day! Ok, in that case, if you see milky oil, look deeper than the water pump seal...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.