home made coolant overflow

12 replies to this topic
  • robby111

Posted January 06, 2009 - 03:41 PM

I rigged up my own overflow but when the radiator did boil over the coolant went into the tank but wouldn't syphon back. So the tank would just fill up until coolant would leak out of the top tube. Does the tank need to be higher then the radiator?

• Fixitguy74

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:25 PM

If the hose goes in from the top then it needs to go in as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. Otherwise mount it on the bottom of the tank.

• robby111

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:47 PM

The hose coming from the radiator goes in at the bottom. The overflow hose is on top.

• Fixitguy74

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Then it should work. Check the underside of the radiator cap and see if the metal flap valve thingy is free to open and close.

• KJ790

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:08 PM

It isn't going to syphon the coolant back in. Think about what is happening. Under the cap there is a rubber gasket with a spring on top of it pushing down creating a seal, this is a one way valve. When the pressure in the radiator gets to be enough to overcome the pressure of the spring, the seal lifts up to release some pressure, and some coolant goes around this gasket and out the overflow tube. When some of the pressure in the radiator is releaved, the spring force takes over and the gasket is sealed again. When it cools down the pressure in the radiator becomes negative, but the gasket in the cap prevents any coolant from being sucked back into the system. Without changing something in the system, it will not suck the coolant back in.

• robby111

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:11 PM

Then it should work. Check the underside of the radiator cap and see if the metal flap valve thingy is free to open and close.

The thing with this spring? The spring moves fine if thats what your talking about.

• robby111

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:12 PM

It isn't going to syphon the coolant back in. Think about what is happening. Under the cap there is a rubber gasket with a spring on top of it pushing down creating a seal, this is a one way valve. When the pressure in the radiator gets to be enough to overcome the pressure of the spring, the seal lifts up to release some pressure, and some coolant goes around this gasket and out the overflow tube. When some of the pressure in the radiator is releaved, the spring force takes over and the gasket is sealed again. When it cools down the pressure in the radiator becomes negative, but the gasket in the cap prevents any coolant from being sucked back into the system. Without changing something in the system, it will not suck the coolant back in.

On my WR250 it would suck the coolant back in. So how do I make my CR do this?

• Fixitguy74

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Not the spring. It is in the center of the rubber gasket part. Small round and metal. You should be able to catch a fingernail under it and pop it open.

• KJ790

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Not the spring. It is in the center of the rubber gasket part. Small round and metal. You should be able to catch a fingernail under it and pop it open.

Yes, many caps do have an inner one way valve to releave the vacuum created. These caps will allow you to suck fluid back in. Check and see if your cap has this.

• Liquid1

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:24 PM

I have had a small bottle zip tied to my 02 520 exc KTM for 5 years NOW and it works great, Ran the tube in the top and sealed tight with silocone from the radiator overflow run the tube 1/4 inch from the bottom and then fil the bottle up with fluid 1/2 above tube it will suck the fluid back in before the cap de-pressureizes..Works great..I did this after my bike boiling over in a hare schramble in muddy conditions naver had a issue after installing the tank..
Here is a photo look close and you can see the zip-tied bottle..I am not Being smart but I know it works has Been for me for years..I might be the way the KTM caps are set up..
Posted Image

• KJ790

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:29 PM

Looking up parts, I'm going to guess that the 01 CR's did not come with caps with the internal one way valve to allow it. The caps for those bikes list for more than half the price of the Yamaha caps, which have the one way valve in the middle. I know OEM Honda parts are normally on par, if not a little more than OEM Yamaha parts, so this makes me think the caps are simpler.

• emerybrian

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:45 PM

Is it OK for a bike to overheat all the time? Would a higher pressure rated cap fix/help/make it worse? Just curious.

• Beejay

Posted January 06, 2009 - 06:11 PM

On my WR250 it would suck the coolant back in. So how do I make my CR do this?

Buy a WR one from the Yammie agents & fit it, maybe you can pick up a used one from a wrecked bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New 2015 KTM 500 EXC 6 days by hedonist222

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Rm 125 vs Rm 250 2 stroke by 2 stroke life

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2013 by Juman5

Yamaha WR450F 2013
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by jasonl20069
  • On July 19, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.