exhaust repair options

7 replies to this topic
  • Ztard

Posted January 06, 2009 - 10:48 AM

I have a 02 YZ426 and the rivet holes have been a bit mangled from repacking. 3/16th aluminum rivets were last used, and start to come loose after a few rides...other than getting larger rivets and an industrial strength rivet gun what options do I have to get this back together tight? I'd like to keep the exhaust stock if possible.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 10:58 AM

I'm going to guess that the holes in the can are beat up, but the holes in the end frames are OK. True? If so, You can cut a strip of steel to make a reinforcing band like the '06 muffler has on it. Drill holes for the rivets and snap it down over the top of the existing holes. You can drill an extra pair of holes to help hold against vibration.

Or, drill for an additional pair of rivets and substitute steel rivets with oversize heads, or drill the holes out to 1/4" and use steel rivets.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 06, 2009 - 06:11 PM

with a little work you could cut the exhaust can down shorter and re drill holes for endcap

• gtxkid

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:41 PM

Need to use high quality rivots
stainless i think
Takes a lot to break them off.
Hangglider place or some sort of aircraft supply.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hangglider place or some sort of aircraft supply.

Marine supplies as well.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 06, 2009 - 09:25 PM

I have a 02 YZ426 and the rivet holes have been a bit mangled from repacking. 3/16th aluminum rivets were last used, and start to come loose after a few rides...other than getting larger rivets and an industrial strength rivet gun what options do I have to get this back together tight? I'd like to keep the exhaust stock if possible.

also, you could tap the holes and fit them with stainless allen head bolts. Looks clean and functions very well.

• BC3

Posted January 06, 2009 - 09:48 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Tig weld FILL the old holes and sand off and drill new holes right next to where the originals were...I have done this and you can't tell that anything has been changed....[/COLOR]

• Ztard

Posted January 07, 2009 - 05:44 AM

thanks to all,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.