2000' WR 400 vs 2001 XR 650r

4 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:18 PM

My brother just bought a nice clean xr 650r. We always ride together and was just wondering how it will compare to my wr 400, Power Wise, Suspension wise, Handling, road driving and weight.

Both bikes are in very good condition

His XR 650r bike is the alumn Frame Liquid cooled R version, stock pipe and engine but the p/o said it was "uncorked".

My 2000 WR has All the free mods done [Grey wire, Throttle Stop, Accel pump mod, no airbox lid], along with YZ timing, powerbomb header and titanium 4 exhaust pipe.

Thanks guys

• brad the best

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:47 PM

xr is way heavier , wr has better suspension for sure and rims . i would take the xr on the road for commuting but the wr to have fun . wr is a better handler .
that 650 has some power though .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:20 PM

His XR 650r bike is the alumn Frame Liquid cooled R version, stock pipe and engine but the p/o said it was "uncorked".

The nice thing about yamaha is they engineer the "uncorking" mods into the bike.

The 650R literally came choked. The intake boot was 1/2 the size it should have been (at least in CA) and you had to buy the correct sized one from honda. Thats probably what the p/o was talking about.

• creeky

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:23 AM

I have an '00 WR400, my son has an '03 XR650R. The WR is 35# lighter, is more nimble for trail riding and requires less effort to ride. The XR, on the other hand, is a hoot to due to the more powerful engine, but you'd better be in good physical condition to handle the 300 plus lb. weight. For trail riding, I prefer the WR, but for more open situations and fire roads, the XR is the ticket.

• bluebreadtruck

Posted January 08, 2009 - 03:24 PM

whell, i rode it and it does feel like a heavy pig, however it has tons and tons of low end power. It will pull a wheelie at will in most any gear just by rolling into it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.