08 YZ450 set up for track/woods

17 replies to this topic
  • SparksXR426

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hey guys, after many years on Hondas Im pumped to be getting my Blue Beast on Saturday. :thinking: This bike will probably be half track/half trail and I think this one will be a great compromise. I will put the normal bush guarding on and probably drop one tooth on the countershaft right away. From my searches it sounds like most guys say a flywheel weight is worthwhile. But there is already so many friggin things out there. I need a spark arrestor but not sure which one. Do you need to run a waterless coolant and are those engine magnets really worthwhile and blah blah blah.....Any suggestions on parts and setups or break-in tips would be great!

• siscokid7

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:53 PM

Is it your first Yamaha? Change oil religiously, if it is an 08 junk the stock muffler right away. You will get an additional 5 hp in the midrange with just about anything else. I ride tight woods and dont use a FWW. I think it has a very unintimidating power delivery, but that is just me. Watch the shifter pedal. They have been known to dig into the stator cover. Good luck and have fun with your new blue beast!:thinking:

• smokin529

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:39 PM

Get a Rekluse Pro clutch.
You'll love it on the track and trail.

• Wiz636

Posted January 06, 2009 - 01:38 PM

Put a good skidplate on it, hand/brush guards, and I recommend a good aftermarket chain guide like the TM Designworks, BRP, or the GYTR guide. I have used all three and prefer the BRP as it seems the toughest.

For a spark arrestor I would say to just get the Promoto Billet end cap but since the stock silencer on the '08 kills the low end I would recommend ditching it for pretty much any aftermarket silencer with my #1 choice being the Dubach Racing Development exhaust (DR.D).

Like Smokin529 (and he is smokin on his 450!) said get a Rekluse Pro if you want the ultimate woods machine.

For coolant you can spend $$ for something like Engine Ice or you can brew your own for much less like this http://www.thumperta...910#post5168910

I have no idea what engine magnets are...? :thinking:

• SparksXR426

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:00 PM

Thanks guys, I have a couple weeks(or until this damn snow is gone:banghead: ) to outfit this thing properly. The magnets I was talking about are made by F-2 Racing to collect metal debris in the motor. Im very meticulous with maintenance and they caught my eye, probably not a big deal. Dont want to spend a huge amount on this bike, no bling bling, just good return for the dollar.:thinking:

• Wiz636

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:26 PM

Oh, magnetic drain plugs. Good idea. And a Scotts oil filter.

• erickdj

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:48 PM

the bike needs very little to be awesome in the woods. Mine has ASV levers, radiator guards, and a Dr.D exhaust. I love it just like that. The only thing I intend on adding to it is a skidplate. I run stock gearing, cooling, etc... The bike works fine just the way it is.

• SparksXR426

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:50 PM

Actually it replaces the entire clutch cover, check it out.

http://f2racing.net/...Yamaha-5p28.htm

• sacfelix

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:38 PM

On my 06 I added brush guards, rad braces and covers, rear disk guard, GYTR 9.21 flywheel weight, rear brake guard, skid plate, fastway foot pegs, asv levers, routed the breather to the air box and a PMB kick stand. I ride it on track ocassionally but made it a killer woods machine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted January 06, 2009 - 09:39 PM

Before my 08 arrived I read how the motor was docile due to the stock exhaust; I didn't want to put aftermarket on because I did not want that BIG hit. Um, yes the stock exhaust makes the bike run very "smooth".....and I could not get it off fast enough. Hello Dr. D! And I'm a huge proponent of slapping on a Pro Moto End Cap SA on all my bikes but the 08 and 09 YZ450F just deserve something else.

And I thought a light fww would be necessary with the newfound surge. Nope, not for my neck of the woods.

You are going to loooove your 08!

• rufusz

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:29 AM

Actually it replaces the entire clutch cover, check it out.

http://f2racing.net/...Yamaha-5p28.htm

Looks nice, but don't know if this is really needed. I always think like that: if the engine would require it, Yami would put magnets there.
Still this can be also homemade, just glue some thin magnets to the inside of the stock cover and done. Be sure, that the magnets won't fall off :thinking:

• Pappy141

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:16 PM

I always ride tracks but I spent a weekend on my YZ in the Michigan woods in November...What a handful compared to my riding buddies KTM's. If I had to convert it over to a woods machine, I'd have my suspension revalved first and foremost for woods, FWW, and a recluse clutch. For MX racing, I love my Yamaha, for woods riding, if money wasn't a factor, I'd buy a e-start KTM 300.

• GTXR

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hey guys, after many years on Hondas Im pumped to be getting my Blue Beast on Saturday. :thumbsup: This bike will probably be half track/half trail and I think this one will be a great compromise. I will put the normal bush guarding on and probably drop one tooth on the countershaft right away. From my searches it sounds like most guys say a flywheel weight is worthwhile. But there is already so many friggin things out there. I need a spark arrestor but not sure which one. Do you need to run a waterless coolant and are those engine magnets really worthwhile and blah blah blah.....Any suggestions on parts and setups or break-in tips would be great!

Just give it to me and i will take care of the rest for You. As for set up you will need to take my bike and ride it while you follow me on the New one!!! Cant wait to take you down the first river bed that I can find!!! LOL. Must be nice:bonk:

• Wiz636

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:28 AM

I should add one other thing, set your sag to 95mm as it really sharpens up the steering in the tight back and forth stuff.

• SparksXR426

Posted January 16, 2009 - 08:07 PM

Just give it to me and i will take care of the rest for You. As for set up you will need to take my bike and ride it while you follow me on the New one!!! Cant wait to take you down the first river bed that I can find!!! LOL. Must be nice:bonk:

Sure, laugh at me while were in those rock gardens you seem to love so much. Just you wait until the first long whoop section. The trail will look like an XR's Only garage sale and I'll have to peel you off a tree (again):thumbsup:

• SparksXR426

Posted January 16, 2009 - 08:12 PM

I should add one other thing, set your sag to 95mm as it really sharpens up the steering in the tight back and forth stuff.

Thanks Wiz, I'll try that. Is it worth anything to drop the forks in the clamps a little as well?

• 8upnmx

Posted January 17, 2009 - 09:11 PM

I have an 09 yz450f and love the stock muffler. Leave it.

• MXHSRACER

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:47 PM

Really why do you love it? what good about it> Is it really not as loud??

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.