Maintaining white plastics?

23 replies to this topic
  • jcolborn48

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:53 PM

How do you keep your white plastics clean? I have an '07 450, white, and I am starting to see the colors of the bushes that I have been running through streaked on my plastics. I've heard SOS pads w/bleach. Any tricks you guys have used that work?

• bfogelma

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:03 PM

no bleach... just use dish soap and water while your washing it, then polish it with your favorite polish (maxima sc-1 is my fav)

mine still look like new, and i even had a bad get off last time i rode

• cmd

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:05 PM

yep, the sos pads really do the trick.plus it helps to spray some sort of cleaner(simple green) on them before you really start to scrub

• Wiz636

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:09 PM

Soft Scrub and a scotch brite pad work well

• schwen_11

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:12 PM

I used to use a Mr. Clean magic eraser on my white boots, got all the stains out pretty well. Helps to spray some simple green or S1000 on it before you go for it.

• yz007f

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:52 PM

I use dish soap and oxi-clean when washing my bikes. I have two white yzfs and they still look like new! Funny how guys said they will look like crap after one ride lol.

• Justin89

Posted January 05, 2009 - 04:33 PM

:smirk: I use a SOS as well.:thinking: Also, i use Mxxima clear coat to spray on my fenders (especially under it). It really helps the dirt from sticking. I've also seen guys out at the track use wd-40 and chain lube to spray under their fenders right before they go out but I've never done that..might work though :smirk::lol:

• jcolborn48

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:54 PM

I use dish soap and oxi-clean when washing my bikes. I have two white yzfs and they still look like new! Funny how guys said they will look like crap after one ride lol.

Oxi-clean, the stuff for acne? I love this forum, I can get answers quicker than trying to call a buddy. Thanks for all the input!

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 10:01 PM

Oxi-clean, the stuff for acne?

Uh, not exactly. Can you say Billy Mays?

http://www.oxiclean.com/default2.asp

• Slinkyman16

Posted January 05, 2009 - 11:07 PM

after i wash my bike.. i hit all the stained spots, and frame where my boots are with some stuff called oops or goo gone.. works great.. also use it under my rear fender to get rid of cast off..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted January 06, 2009 - 12:15 PM

Magic Eraser makes them super white again, however, some of that new plastic shine will disappear - future floor wax will bring the shine back (just wipe it on and let it dry - it's the same as plastic renew).
Or buff them after cleaning.

• jcolborn48

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:54 PM

Uh, not exactly. Can you say Billy Mays?

http://www.oxiclean.com/default2.asp

Oxi pads, oxi clean whatever, I'm sure the two products are interchangeble :thinking:

• MikeyT750

Posted January 08, 2009 - 06:07 PM

THat was some funny crap. Ol' Billy Mays. Got to love to hate that guy. :thinking:

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2009 - 09:04 PM

I just had an unfortunate flash of Billy Mays doing an acne scrub commercial. :thinking:

• Pappy141

Posted January 09, 2009 - 12:18 PM

I was just turned on to using Maxima cleaner/degreaser on my White YZ...Holy cow! My bike cam out spotless. The hubs, rims, chain, frame, plastic all look like new. The only problem is that it takes close to a full can to clean it, at $7.00 a shot it's an expensive bike wash.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2009 - 01:46 PM

I was just turned on to using Maxima cleaner/degreaser on my White YZ...Holy cow!

I use that to clean up the tougher spots that Simple Green leaves behind ( I spray the Max on first, I know where the problems are ). Places like the goo cast off from the front sprocket, or the breather outlet. That way, I can stretch a can of it quite a ways.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 09, 2009 - 05:41 PM

a little carbcleaner, brake clean or starting fuilded would get ride of those stained dirt spots in the scratches

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted January 09, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Quit running your bike through bushes?

• yamaha113

Posted January 09, 2009 - 07:05 PM

i want white plastics for my bike :thinking:

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 09, 2009 - 07:52 PM

My son got me white plastic for my 06 for Christmas. What a good kid. I used simple green and a scotch bride pad to clean all the brush marks off.
White is easy to clean. AND IM NOT STAYING OUT OF THE BRUSH.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.