HomeMadeDamper??

17 replies to this topic
  • gottaroost

Posted February 01, 2003 - 06:10 PM

Ok guys, I asked this on the highly competitive YZF site, but thought I would double my exposure on this one. Has there been a post in past history that details making a low budget usable Damper for these here machines?

Here's someone's chance to become famous for awhile. I will do some sniffing around of my own. Maybe some great idea will hit one of us!

• needsprayer

Posted February 01, 2003 - 11:59 PM

Check out Dutch's Homemade damper.

What do I win? :)

http://www.thumperta...b=5&o=7&fpart=1

• adamwagar

Posted February 02, 2003 - 10:46 AM

I've ridden the BRP Dutch owns with,and without, the damper. It makes a big difference. Those Hondas need all the help they can get. LOL. Lucky for us Yamahas don't require a bunch of band-aids to go fast. :)

• jwriott

Posted February 02, 2003 - 02:02 PM

Can't you just loosen the triple clamps and tighten the nut on top of the headset? That way, it won't turn as easy or fast.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 02, 2003 - 04:02 PM

vmaxcbr900wr426, you've gotta be kidding. :)

• MOmilkman

Posted February 02, 2003 - 05:39 PM

Rich, I think he just forgot to put his ( :D ) in afterwards.

Like this:
Some of my friends like to take all the grease out of their steering head so that the bearings freeze up. It works just as good. :) (See?)

• Jim_Bob

Posted February 03, 2003 - 01:43 AM

All the Aussies on this site will tell you that a bit of flour and water well mixed, wrap in aluminium foil and held in place above the header pipe for about a 1 hour ride. Doesnt seem to work as well up near the bars.
JB.

• gottaroost

Posted February 03, 2003 - 04:28 AM

OK OK, perhaps a lame post and worthy of flaming...but that brings up the question, if I am being flamed, does that mean we have a lot of FLAMERS on this forum???

• beezer

Posted February 03, 2003 - 05:06 AM

A buddy of mine always used to set his steering head bearings on the tight side for a poor mans dampener.

It was just tight enough for some drag.

I tried it and it works and it's free.

Being within spitting distance of NYC there are flamers and then there are FLAMERS. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MOmilkman

Posted February 03, 2003 - 06:47 AM

GOTTAROOST,
We werent flaming your post we were giving vmaxcbr900wr426 a little trouble for his comment. :)

• beezer

Posted February 03, 2003 - 06:58 AM

GOTTA is from Austin, he must know about FLAMERS. :)

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted February 03, 2003 - 10:19 AM

I hope you are kidding. This will destroy your steering bearings.
Cher'o, :)

• beezer

Posted February 03, 2003 - 10:34 AM

It never destroyed mine.

Its a matter of common sense. If you take a wrench and tighten it as tight as you would an axle you'll have ruined bearings. If you preload them a little bit and make sure there is grease on them your bearings will be fine.

I did it with mx bikes that had headshake problems. It wasn't a dampener but every little bit helps.

• jwriott

Posted February 03, 2003 - 10:38 AM

Of course I'm kidding and I was just trying to have a little fun with you guys.

• yamaha.dude

Posted February 03, 2003 - 10:54 AM

Jim_Bob... that is one angle I didn't even think off... but get the jam and butter... we are eating well after the ride... I am going to invent a SnackNOW! mod for the hungry trailriders... A little oven that attaches to the header, and makes a loaf of unleavened bread while you ride, so when you stop, you have a little snack... brilliant... :D :) I will get to it right away...

Stay tuned...

David

• Bamster

Posted February 03, 2003 - 11:04 AM

When the bike is up on a stand the ring nut on the steering head should be tightened to the point where there is a little drag.Just enough to hold the forks straight and not fall to one side or the other.This will help head shake.I have been riding for 25 years and never had a problem.I thought this was common knowledge.

• beezer

Posted February 03, 2003 - 11:10 AM

Good idea! I have heard old timers talk about putting cans of beans on the exhaust manifolds of trucks.

I like 4 strokes cause I can light my cigar off the header pipe easier than a 2 stroke. :)

• gottaroost

Posted February 04, 2003 - 06:50 PM

OK, so I should go to work and just demand a raise coz I need to pay the bucks and get a real live damper, huh?

Right now I noticed my bike has some drag already on the head and it actually does not shake like my KX does. Maybe I should stop there, but I am tempted to try the homemade damper suggestion that was offered. Thanks.

I will get back at y'all if I have any success.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.