rekluse owners chime in

28 replies to this topic
  • cmd

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:46 PM

okay here's the deal.i have gotten my yz450f dialed in perfect in for woods riding with a flww,pipegearing etc.the power is truely perfect for me,delivery,tractable, etc.i have already ordered a rekluse and am second guessing that i need it now,but since its already on it's way i'm sure i'll keep it:smirk: my real concern is that i've heard and read that once installed that you have to spend some time adjusting them to your liking...so since i love the way it's set-up now, am i opening up a can of worms or will the power and hit stay pretty much the same.sorry for kinda talking in circles,but at 600 bucks i want to make sure of it:bonk:

• Wiz636

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:08 PM

They are not hard to dial in at all. I would go with the Rekluse 'default' springs and balls. This will be obvious to you when you look at the install sheets.

You will love it!

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:09 PM

For the most part, the adjustment of the Rekluse auto clutch doesn't require the adjustment of anything else. The exception may be an overly rich pilot circuit that will cause stalling on closing the throttle quickly, but leaning the idle generally takes care of it.

• 642MX

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:33 PM

I've probably read 100 or more posts about how well folks love there Rekluse. I've had the Gen II rekluse and now I have the Pro version. They are an asset in any kind of riding!

Your jetting is important like Gray mentioned. If your pilot circuit isn't close to 100% perfect, your auto-clutch will let you know. If you have an extended fuel screw and the right pilot jet, then you'll be in good shape. Be prepared to adjust the fuel screw as conditions change.

The set-up of the Pro is 100 times easier than the previous version. I agree with Wiz, follow the instructions and use what Rekluse recommends. It takes only a few minutes to change the set-up, so bring your extra stuff with you for the first ride.

If you have questions, just ask. :thinking:

• angrybob

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:49 PM

I ride the desert single tracks and the rekluse has allowed me to lug up trails I have no business being on :thinking:. I have had both the standard version and the Pro (now). The instructions are well done, just be meticulous on the initial setup.

I wrote a longer review here.

• smokin529

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:36 PM

Once you get through the install, you're gonna love it. I'd ditch the FWW. I doubt you'll need it with the Rekluse unless you ride on ice with no spikes! I run mine with all the balls when it's dry and take out three when it gets slick.
I won't own another bike with out one!:thinking:

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:48 PM

I'd ditch the FWW. I doubt you'll need it with the Rekluse ...

The weighted flywheel is beneficial in several other ways enough that you should keep it, even with the Rekluse.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:06 AM

although not actual fww,the rekluse adds 5 oz effective fww;i've run it with and without a +6 fww and found it responds much better without,runs cooler,and for some reason stalls less. jetting (especially on the yami 450's is critical)a adj fuel screw is a must have;jet lean on pj when cold...richening the fuel screw at the start...then leaning the screw after its hot is the best way.
the pro is a much better product and requires no adjustment after new disk/plate break-in until the frictions are wore out. the override actually works (unlike the older version) and the setup is more versatile for engagement preferance.
its well worth the effort

• cmd

Posted January 06, 2009 - 02:34 PM

all this talk about jetting and stalling is kinda making my head hurt:bonk: .i though the wholepoint of the rekluse is it keeps your bike FROM stalling:excuseme: .sounds like once installed that it requires alot of work to keep it from stalling,but hey what do i know:smirk:, sounds like it Will be worth it in the long run though. mountainman,i met you several years ago at brushy,you had just bought a wr450 when they first came out.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 03:39 PM

all this talk about jetting and stalling is kinda making my head hurt:bonk: .i though the wholepoint of the rekluse is it keeps your bike FROM stalling:excuseme: .sounds like once installed that it requires alot of work to keep it from stalling,...

Not really. But it is common for people to run their idle circuit way too rich to try to eliminate every trace of decel popping, or to try to get a rich pilot to substitute for a properly tuned carb and good rider technique in preventing any sort of bog whatever.

The problem is that the use of an auto clutch can cause the idle-down stalling tendencies that a rich idle causes to show up more than does a manual clutch. If you are pretty close to right, you won't have any trouble.

Another thing you'll probably want is for the idle speed to be fairly low so that the clutch will release at idle, but the stall speed (engagement speed) doesn't have to be set too high. This also causes any problems with idle set up to be more obvious. Again, if the carb is really tuned right, it won't be an issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtxkid

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:57 PM

You are going to love it.
Couple things to keep in mind.
You need a high quality touque wrench.
There have been some rare instances where the small tapered touque screw have come loose. ( bike stops moving )
I called them and was amazed how well they stand behind there product.
He was willing to help me out if there was damage.
What he explained was you need to also use good locktight and clean the threads of any oil, of coarse.
Then the new procedure was to touque the screws down to the click of the touque wrench but to keep going till you feel the scres bottom out. ( This is where you need what is called feel) I do a lot of mechanical work so i knew what he means. It will only be about an 8th more of a turn. (slight bit)
I have not had any trouble since.
I have the pro and love it, one of the best products ever bought

• DMC707

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:03 AM

I have the Pro model as well. Its truly a neat deal. I need to fix a hitch in my jetting though. I had the same reservations that you do until i got it installed, as the stock YZ clutch pull is sweet to start with

I am an MX guy primarrilly and dont ride trails, but my perception of the thing is it would be an absolute blast on woods rides. When the group stops for a second to talk about which loop to take next, you dont have to kill it, it idles in gear like a giant KLX 110, plus if you crash, the bike often stays running - just pick it up and go. As well, its easy to get off and let the bike motor through if you get stuck or something

Last but not least, the clutch pull with no load on it is freaky and cool. The clutch override does get progressively stiffer the more engine load that is on it, but when it is loaded light, the pull is non existent

• maincrash

Posted January 23, 2009 - 02:11 PM

I just ordered a rekluse pro for my 07 wr450
I lost the end of my middle finger and ring finger to the first knuckle of my left hand at work in november 08 at the end of riding season at least.
I just got the wr450 i was riding 06 yz250f (for sale) so i figured I best get a auto clutch

• cmd

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:00 PM

you're gonna love it on your wr.hate to hear that about your hand though, do you work construction?i ran the end of my thumb through the table saw not too long at a site also...sucked.don't wanna ends things as a debbie downer so after numerous rides now on the rekluse i love it,no glitches with jetting or the rkluse itself.it works exactly how it's suppose to.i may start to play with the settings now thats it's broken in properly.whats everyone else running,engagement rpm and engagement hard to soft,balls,springs etc.

• smokin529

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:30 AM

The weighted flywheel is beneficial in several other ways enough that you should keep it, even with the Rekluse.

In what ways is the FWW beneficial with a Rekluse? Just wondering.:banana:

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Most people add flywheel weight to reduce the engine's tendency to stall at low speeds. But the added weight also helps increase traction in lower gears by making the engine less prone to breakaway wheel spin, and helps the engine pull smoother, and actually harder at low speeds by reducing the deceleration between power strokes.

• 642MX

Posted January 24, 2009 - 06:59 PM

I can see the benefits of having a FWW without a Rekluse, but I wouldn't want a FWW with a Rekluse..... actually I wouldn't mind having a little less weight on the flywheel with my Rekluse.

• smokin529

Posted January 25, 2009 - 08:40 PM

I can see the benefits of having a FWW without a Rekluse, but I wouldn't want a FWW with a Rekluse..... actually I wouldn't mind having a little less weight on the flywheel with my Rekluse.

That makes two of us.

• danbra

Posted January 26, 2009 - 03:46 PM

Once you get through the install, you're gonna love it. I'd ditch the FWW. I doubt you'll need it with the Rekluse unless you ride on ice with no spikes! I run mine with all the balls when it's dry and take out three when it gets slick.
I won't own another bike with out one!

What's the diference between 27 or 24 balls, where and how do you feel that diference?

• cmd

Posted January 26, 2009 - 03:52 PM

hey, you wanting to know how my balls feel:lol: :banana: 24 makes it slip more,so i translate that into more wear and tear on the clutch,27 makes it lock up faster.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.