crf100f timing chain adjustment

4 replies to this topic
  • scott6058

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:09 PM

Anyone know how to correctly adjust the timing chain on my 04 crf100f
thanks scott

• Squidless

Posted January 05, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Are you just adjusting, or are you installing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scott6058

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:40 PM

simply adjusting
thanks for any help.
Scott

• Squidless

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:52 PM

I'm not an expert, but I'll take a shot at it. If I say anything wrong, the experts will correct me.

On the side of the cylinder head opposite the spark plug there's a screw held in place by a plate that is held by a bolt. When the slot of the screw is pointing up and down, the adjuster is in the middle of it's adjustment. Usually, if you turn it to the left, it tightens the timing chain and if it turns to the right, it loosens it.

With the engine running, loosen the bolt with a 10mm socket. Turn the screw to the left (ccw) until the valve noise decreases. When it's too loose, the chain goes slack as the rockers come off the cam. You are trying to eliminate this slapping of the chain and cam.

Tighten the bolt holding the plate. When it's adjusted right, you should have a high pitched whine when the engine is under load.

Anybody have anything to add?

- Brad

• gman255

Posted January 07, 2009 - 04:08 AM

IMO, If its whining, it's a little on the tight side. Could cause premature guide ware or failure. I recommend backing it off a little.

The Clymer service manual states to make the adjustment on the head first. Personally, I adjust the at the cylinder fist. The head adjuster is a to big of a increase, for a routine maintenance. Use it when the cylinder adjustment is maxed out.

Some more info
http://www.thumperta...8766&highlight=

All the best:thumbsup:
G

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Xr200r Cam Chain way to loose by spooledupgti

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2013 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF80F 2013
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2014 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF80F 2014
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

'02 XR200 Adventure/Mountain Bike by mx4god

• Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 XR80 From used to brand new restoration. by Jase99

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.