clutch problem?

13 replies to this topic
  • moto T

Posted January 05, 2009 - 12:45 PM

Clutch has 26hrs on it and it seems to be overheating. Stalled in a corner and when I kicked it, it felt like it was in gear(when it wasn't). It wouldn't start until it cooled down for 15min. I took it apart and everything looks ok but the clutch springs are a little out of spec. They are 48.5mm when the limit is 50mm-49mm. The clutch boss has small notches, I've ridden much worse on other bikes and was ok. The basket was replaced with the clutch so it looks brand new. I'm guessing my clutch lever free play was a little tight and that is what caused the overheating. I've always liked a touchy clutch but never had this problem before. Other than replacing the springs any suggestions. Thanks

• yz007f

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:58 PM

What oil are you running in the bike?

• moto T

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:01 PM

Amsoil 10w-40 from day 1. Oem clutch plates and springs. Change oil every 4-5hrs. Clean stainless filter every time. The oil had 4hrs on it.

• zuch95701

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:07 PM

I know i am going to get yelled at for saying this but in my 250f i tryed running some amsoil since it was giving to me. My clutch starting slipping and then stopped working all together. When i changed the oil back to my bel ray synthetic wala it started working again. Just my 2 cents

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:37 PM

... wala...

"Voilà"

I have run Amsoil MCF and MCV in all my YZF's since '05 without any clutch issues. It WILL NOT cause a healthy clutch to slip.

Not yelling, just stating fact.

• zuch95701

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:05 PM

"Voilà"

I have run Amsoil MCF and MCV in all my YZF's since '05 without any clutch issues. It WILL NOT cause a healthy clutch to slip.

Not yelling, just stating fact.

And i was just sharing what happened. By the way that clutch is still in the bike and i have put another 100 hours on it no slipage.

• moto T

Posted January 06, 2009 - 02:50 AM

I really don't think it's the oil. I've been running amsoil in my bikes since '04. It's not that it's slipping, it's not disengaging, even with 10mm of free play in the lever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 10:11 AM

You do know that more free play makes it less likely to disengage, right? Try the prescribed 3mm.

• moto T

Posted January 06, 2009 - 11:47 AM

Yes, but the prescribed free play is 8-13mm. It's at 10mm...

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2009 - 01:07 PM

Yes, but the prescribed free play is 8-13mm. It's at 10mm...

I had to see that for myself, but I see what the trouble is. Because of the dust boot, they are giving the travel at the end of the lever. I was talking about 3mm at the cable.

The '07 clutch was built with one fewer pair of plates compared with earlier 450 clutches to get them to release with a higher leverage ratio, which gives them their light feel. Unfortunately, I think this is what's behind the higher number of '07 clutches that fail early compared with the older models. They can be converted back to '06 standards.

Either way, clutch drag is normally caused by one or more of the same set of problems:

• Plates not flat (warped, dished, bent)
  • Unevenly sagged springs (not a usual problem for a YZF)
  • Worn basket/boss rails
  • Adjustment
  • Wrong oil

• husqy360

Posted January 06, 2009 - 01:44 PM

hey guys and gray.
how can i make my clutch feel like butter ? my clutch cable is pretty smooth going and clean, but its still pretty stiff.

to moto T id throw in a new clutch for start, very cheap and easy to replace.

• moto T

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:17 PM

The clutch plates are in spec, the steels are not warped and the basket and boss have 26hrs. on them and they are not notched. I'm not going to replace something that is in spec.

• moto T

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well, I put the clutch back together with new springs, started first kick but would barely say running without giving any throttle. Drained the oil (fine) but the oil filter was full of metal shavings!!!!!! I read in an earlier thread that it could be bearing retainer screws backing out or the oil pump. That would definetly explain the engine stalling. I'm in the process of tearing down the engine, any pointers?

• husqy360

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:06 PM

The clutch plates are in spec, the steels are not warped and the basket and boss have 26hrs. on them and they are not notched. I'm not going to replace something that is in spec.

yes true.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.