Forget the color and the crap which is a better bike?

9 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 15, 2002 - 05:39 PM

A Ktm 450 EXC or a Yamaha WR 450? :) :D :D :D

• huskyrider

Posted July 15, 2002 - 06:08 PM

Mike C
What answer do you expect to get on this site?
Since I and probably everyone else here has yet to ride either of these bikes you'll need to watch the magazines for a shootout.
They (motorcycle editors) will flog them both much harder than the average rider and give you their feedback for the price of 1 monthly issue.

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: huskyrider ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 03:58 AM

Dah Gee Tennasee

Should we ask mr Whooppie
Chumly Your RIght Lets go ask Mr Whoopieee

Boys Boys
Its not the bike but the man, since there is no man to really want a KTM your choice is the WR

You see boys the KTM is like a Harley Davidson, expensive to buy expensive to repair, there heavy and they dont turn...
Plus they just orange and ugly

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 16, 2002 - 08:17 AM

Duh! I know they haven't been test ridden. JUst give me your best guess on these 2 bikes and KTM vs. Yamaha, etc and so on based on what you've read and your educated guess. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 08:26 AM

Personally I never meet or riden A KTM I liked.

You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

The Euro's have a distintivly differant way of riding and building the bikes.

Compare a Husky with the KTM or a CCM

No compare those bikes with a YZ or RM or KX.

Completely diff.

It takes a diff approch to ride Euro Bikes, I have had plenty of Husky's, Maico's, Buls and others.

I prefer the riding style of the japanese bikes, they turn easier and dont need to be muscled to stay down in a turn...

Thats my $4.26 worth

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtms34

Posted July 16, 2002 - 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Mike C:
JUst give me your best guess on these 2 bikes and KTM vs. Yamaha, etc and so on based on what you've read and your educated guess. :)

Based on what I've read on TT, the KTM makes me think of cam brgs and water pumps. These may not be issues on 03 models. As for Yamaha, there isn't an issue that stands out for me. If I had to choose between these 2, I'd wait for more info. If I had to buy right now, I'd buy the Yamaha.

FWIW,

• ratbiker

Posted July 16, 2002 - 02:54 PM

I THINK THE QUESTION SHOULD BE IS THE KTM THAT MUCH BETTER FOR THE PRICE IT COSTS.ANSWER NOPE,AND HASSLE OF GETTING PARTS! ANSWER NOPE!,TIME IT TAKES GETTING PARTS! ANSWER NOPE! :) :D

• huskyrider

Posted July 16, 2002 - 04:29 PM

I've got a bud with a KTM 400 fourstroke ? XC ?
It's a few years old and runs really well and has been as reliable as any dirt bike could be. Powerwise its a little faster than mine was new with the baffle and throttle stop in. After the free mods I can leave him like he's parked! It handles about the same as mine with WR seat/tank except that it'll plow corners like one of my old Huskys.
E.G.O. is right, its always been rider not bike. However, of 2 equal riders on 2 different bikes, the guy on the better bike will be picking up time on him everywhere.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:33 PM

Mike, These are the two bikes that I couldn't decide over too!! They way I look at it is, If I only had a week to live I'de spend my time on a KTM or a Husaberg for sure!!! If you have ridden a KTM 520 you'll know what I mean. I havn't ridden the hussey yet but I would love to.

Man, every time I contemplate buying a KTM I think about reliability too (Bearings and leaks). I don't think that parts availability is a problem any more, that's just an old debate topic. Now, you can pretty much get everything you need pretty quickly for about the same price. If I hade the extra money laying around I'de probably get one. But my buddy just bought one for 8 grand! Do you have that kind of money?? I don't, I can get a WR450 for about 6. (actually lower but don't want to tell anyone that). Oh, yea the 03 WR is gonna be sweet and lighter and way cheaper. It's up to you. Im going Yamaha again....

PS, Do the admirable thing a get an 03 Cannondale and let me know what you think.

DL :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Dan Lorenze:
Mike, These are the two bikes that I couldn't decide over too!! They way I look at it is, If I only had a week to live I'de spend my time on a KTM or a Husaberg for sure!!! If you have ridden a KTM 520 you'll know what I mean, they are amazing. I havn't ridden the hussey yet but I would love to.

Man, every time I contemplate buying a KTM I think about reliability too (Bearings and leaks). I don't think that parts availability is a problem any more, that's just an old debate topic. Now, you can pretty much get everything you need pretty quickly for about the same price. If I hade the extra money laying around I'de probably get one. But my buddy just bought one for 8 grand! Do you have that kind of money?? I don't, I can get a WR450 for about 6. (actually lower but don't want to tell anyone that). Oh, yea the 03 WR is gonna be sweet and lighter (than last years)and way cheaper than the Katoom. It's up to you. Im going Yamaha again....

PS, Do the admirable thing a get an 03 Cannondale and let me know what you think.

DL :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.