Timing Chain Replacement

12 replies to this topic
  • mcnaughb

Posted January 04, 2009 - 10:07 PM

After reading many threads, it looks like a timing chain replacement is good preventive maintenance and should be done regularly. The book says to replace the gear at the same time as the chain. Is that really necessary?

I have an 06 with a couple hundred hours on it that has never required any valve reshimming or anything, all still in spec. Should I replace my timing gear as well as the the chain?

Thanks.

• matt4x4

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:56 AM

Check it for wear, but I doubt you will need to.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:03 AM

"Replace the gear" is carry-over text. It's general stuff that misses being edited out or elaborated on when it's moved from one manual to another.

In a YZF, the cam gears are pressed in place, and are not sold or serviced separately from the cams. It would cost over $300 to replace them just because it would be nice to. Similarly, the crank gear is cut directly on the left axle of the crank. It needs to be looked at more critically, because it wears over twice as rapidly as the cam gears by nature, but if you replace the cam chain soon enough, it won't be a problem either.

Don't replace any of the 3 unless they truly need to be. They probably don't.

• rufusz

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:31 AM

On a 02 YZ426 can the chain be replaced without removing the engine from the frame?

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2009 - 07:48 AM

Yes. It can on all YZF models.

• Whyzee429

Posted January 07, 2009 - 05:58 PM

I'm putting a new top end in my 07. I bought a timing chain from yamaha for $15. If my "old" chain is in spec did I just waste my money or can i count the new one as preventative maintainence or some sort? :thinking:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2009 - 06:15 PM

I'm putting a new top end in my 07. I bought a timing chain from yamaha for $15. If my "old" chain is in spec did I just waste my money or can i count the new one as preventative maintainence or some sort? :thinking:

Can you tell me how long it will be before your old one goes bad?

• Wiz636

Posted January 08, 2009 - 03:42 PM

Can you tell me how long it will be before your old one goes bad?

Lol...kind of like waiting until you run out of gas before refueling.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Lol...kind of like waiting until you run out of gas before refueling.

Or replacing your 3 year-old hard drive BEFORE it tanks.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 08, 2009 - 07:56 PM

Regarding cam chains, the manual I have for my 07 450 doesn't show how to install/remove the cam chain. In fact, it doesn't say a damned thing about it. How does one remove/install the cam chain if it should need replacement?

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:56 PM

Here's a summary:

http://www.thumperta...405#post3150405

The difference is going to be that on yours, you won't need to unbolt the stator plate from anything because it's fastened to the outer cover, and is out of the way as soon as the cover is off.

• sloz71

Posted January 09, 2009 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I was going to replace the timing chain when I adjusted my valves this weekend and now the unknown is now known.

• Whyzee429

Posted January 09, 2009 - 08:48 PM

my old chain had some stiff links. eek!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.