Jumping my WR

17 replies to this topic
  • andrea420

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:09 PM

I have an 08 WR450 that I've been riding for almost a year, and even though it does awesome on trails, I've recently noticed that it really sucks for jumping... I had some pictures taken of me jumping in my backyard, and I noticed that my bike is bottoming out when I land.. Can that be fixed with clicking my suspension up? I'm not planning on jumping anything bigger with this bike, but it would be nice if I could at least keep jumping the stuff in my yard... I'm 5'4, 130 without gear. My suspension is stock :thinking:

Thanks!

• jams229

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:26 PM

The clickers will help, but if you want the WR to jump well, you will have to respring.

• tribalbc

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:37 PM

At 130lbs if you resprung it would be softer, not stiffer. You can play with the clicker's.
Land on the gas :thinking:
The WR's a heavy bike not really made for the jumping arena but if you land on the gas you can make just about any bike work, on smaller stuff anyways.

• andrea420

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:43 PM

Duh, I was going to post some pics with my original thread, but I forgot.. So here they are
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh, and I always always land on the gas.. I thought that was the only way to do it :thinking:

• wr_450_rider

Posted January 04, 2009 - 07:47 PM

my 04 wr 450 has soft susp but i do a jump that size regularly but never bottom and i way like 170 with gear not sure maybe dif year dif susp. but i would mess with the clicker they seem to make a little bit of a difference

• tunefx

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:22 AM

Make sure your sag is correct first before adjusting rebound and compression. Find more info at the web sites of suspension rebuilders (Factory Connection, Race Tech, and so on). But sag must be correct before you do anything else. Usually around 105-110 mm on rear. You can also find a lot of tips on this site.

• matt4x4

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:29 AM

ok, on that last pic - you're not bottomed yet - you still have about 1-2", I'm guessing that jump is about 30 feet, my bike with 190 lb me on it, can fly 50', but beyond that, it'll blow through - esp. if the landing isn't a smooth transition. remember that suspension is progressive, at first it's soft, as it travels through it gets stiffer, so the last portion of travel requires the most amount of force - that last 1-2 inches can work out to 20 extra feet of flight even though the first 10" were taken up in 30 feet.

here are a couple of things you can do to help improve it.

Turn the clickers in one click (both together) at a time. test

You can change to a heavier weight oil - it will slow compression - I guess you could equate it to re-valving because the heavier oil will flow slower between the chambers.

You can increase your oil level, std on mine is 135mm from top, so if you increase your oil level to higher, to say 125mm from top, you decrease the air space, the air space also acts as part of your damping - the first part of the stroke is softer because you initially compress the air before pushing the oil so reducing the amount of air left to compress will get you to the oil faster - does that make sense? - it's kind of hard to explain...

On my bike, I switched to 10 weight oil from std 7 weight and increased 10mm in oil - I won't know how it works until the snow melts, but I'm hoping I can get 70-80 feet now.

All this can adversely affect the remainder of your riding stability though so be careful what you do and document it all.

With your body weight being so low, I wouldn't change the weight of the oil, but rather increase the level and go 5 - 10mm at a time that should make your suspension work for you a little earlier. - max oil level on my 2000 is 80mm.

• 25psi

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:18 AM

Stock WR suspension bottoms way too easily... however, when properly setup, it works just fine! :thinking:

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:18 AM

ok, on that last pic - you're not bottomed yet - you still have about 1-2"

At least. At your weight, you may have compensated for the springs being too high a rate for you by backing off on the compression damping so much that it's unable to control big impacts as it should. Lighter springs may actually make it work better once it's set up.

Matt's correct regarding the fork oil level. The captive air volume in the fork becomes a part of the overall spring rate of the fork. Adding oil, which doesn't compress, reduces the captive air, which does, and makes the fork stiffer, but also harsher overall. But it's an easy fix to try.

The only real solution to your problem is to have a revalve done to "reprioritize" the suspension, in a manner of speaking. But it's always a compromise to some extent. Either you give up low speed cush and comfort to get performance at speed, or vice-versa.

BTW, some of the first big thumpers I used to race in the dirt weighed as much as 330 pounds. When they landed, everyone knew about it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • andrea420

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:39 AM

Stock WR suspension bottoms way too easily... however, when properly setup, it works just fine! :thinking:

Posted Image

Where's your headlight? :smirk:

Thanks for all the advice.. I think my best bet would be to take it to a suspension shop and have them work on it.. Now I just have to find a good shop in my area.. Any suggestions in Riverside county?

• wr_450_rider

Posted January 05, 2009 - 04:21 PM

im sure there are a lot of shops near you seeing as everyone from SO Cal ride dirt bikes but you can do a little adjusting yourself its really easy but just remember what you do so it can be put back if it does not solve the problem.
it would def. save you some $$$ if you played with the clickers first b4 having a suspension shop do anything

• freetimeod

Posted January 05, 2009 - 04:51 PM

I got to say, and I know this sounds sexist, but a WR 450 is a mighty big bike for a 130 lbs, 5'4" female. I am 5"10" and I can only tip toe on my WR 426.

I am impressed your jumping that puppy.

• andrea420

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:33 PM

im sure there are a lot of shops near you seeing as everyone from SO Cal ride dirt bikes but you can do a little adjusting yourself its really easy but just remember what you do so it can be put back if it does not solve the problem.
it would def. save you some $$$ if you played with the clickers first b4 having a suspension shop do anything

Alright.. Will follow your advice on that one. My bf played with the clickers some and made the suspension a little bit stiffer, but it hasn't been ridden yet. I told him he can try it out first just in case :smirk:

I've been thinking of having my seat cut down a little bit to help me reach the ground a bit better.. With the way it is right now it is pretty common for me to fall over when I come to a stop on uneven trails.. At least I can pick it up myself :thinking:

• wr_450_rider

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:45 PM

I got to say, and I know this sounds sexist, but a WR 450 is a mighty big bike for a 130 lbs, 5'4" female. I am 5"10" and I can only tip toe on my WR 426.

I am impressed your jumping that puppy.

yea i never thought of that
my 450 is a lot of bike for me im 6'1 and can barely flat foot it but i have an older steel framed wr so it is much heavier and a little taller
its good to see a female riden a big bike

and yea those clickers will def. make a diference so try that it may take some fine tuning ride alittle change it ride some more till you like it

• andrea420

Posted January 09, 2009 - 07:41 PM

Just wanted to update and let you guys know that my bf messed with the clickers, and what a difference! The landing off that jump is smooth now, I can't believe what a difference it made :thinking: It still needs a little tweaking, but it's almost there! :smirk: :smirk:

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 10, 2009 - 12:28 PM

bingo

ok, on that last pic - you're not bottomed yet - .

• andrea420

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:39 PM

bingo

I might not have been 100% bottomed out, but it sure felt like it. It felt pretty hard.. Now it feels MUCH better. I rode my bf's 08 KX450 right after, and holy crap was his suspension stiff. Way too hard for me I think

• dl19

Posted January 11, 2009 - 12:12 AM

Your riding a trail bike and flat landing is the worst. Wick it and wack it. You can air it out way more then that. You will know when you bottom out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.