wr 450 or ktm 450exc-w

30 replies to this topic
  • RSAthump

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:31 AM

GO BLUE! the 450 KTM is unreliable, for example, the 2009 Dakar:

8 KTM 450 entries and 49 Yamaha wr450 entries, thats not co-incedence.
there is one KTM450 left in this years race

The 690 KTM is bulletproof.

Oh and a WR450 is currently in 2nd overall! behind a KTM690.

www.dakar.com

• ranger85

Posted January 12, 2009 - 09:09 AM

I love the fact that you all state that the KTM is so much more maintenance intensive and subject to frequent breakdowns yet do not cite the problems. Take every opinion you read here with a grain of salt as none of them cite evidence with their claims.

Having owned both I follow the same maintenance schedule and have had great results with both brands. There are certainly fewer moving parts on my KTM (no linkage) and I can easily adjust my valves, not to mention the KTM ran great right off the showroom floor. My deciding factor was the plate with the KTM!

I agree. After owning a KTM 400, 300, and 525, I don't think these bikes require any more maintenance than any other RFS. The four stroke KTMs can go a long time without valve adjustments, and even when you do have to adjust them, they are a piece of cake, actually one of the easier bike's I've adjusted valves on. The oil change process takes a little more time because you have 2 paper filters, and 2 screens to remove and clean, and you have to lay the bike over to fill the filter reservoirs with oil, but it's no big deal.

My 400 had no problems ever, and I had it 2 years. My 300 now, had a weird oil leak from around the crankshaft sprocket, but I fixed it by pressing it up farther towards the case. Then the seal went on the clutch cover and sprayed oil all over the side of the engine, which was no big deal, but I took it back under warranty to fix it, and it did it again. I took it back a total of 3 times and they ended up having to order a new clutch case because the other one wasn't machined properly and wouldn't seal properly. After that no problems. I never had any problems from the 525 except it had a very slight oil leak around the head and jug that just always made the jug appear wet, it never hurt anything though.

All and all they were great bikes though, and I would have another, although this WR is my favorite for the time being. But all brands will have their quirks every now and then, they all have lemons. But in this day and age, I don't think you can really say one is more reliable than the other. :thumbsup:

• sausage boy

Posted January 12, 2009 - 04:22 PM

I love the fact that you all state that the KTM is so much more maintenance intensive and subject to frequent breakdowns yet do not cite the problems. Take every opinion you read here with a grain of salt as none of them cite evidence with their claims.

Having owned both I follow the same maintenance schedule and have had great results with both brands. There are certainly fewer moving parts on my KTM (no linkage) and I can easily adjust my valves, not to mention the KTM ran great right off the showroom floor. My deciding factor was the plate with the KTM!

when i lived in England, i rode every weekend, usually about 10-14 guys, there was always 50-50 with KTM and WR's with the odd DRZ rider, all i can remember is how often the KTM's broke down, and how the WR's hardly ever did. the other thing i remember is people with KTM's selling up and buying WR's but never the other way around.
they would always brake down with silly little problems, like electrical, water in it or some switch burning out, or a gear shift leaver coming loose and they would always be getting flat tires, who knows why, maybe the terrain, the tires the suspension or just plain bad luck.
who knows for sure, but it did always happened to the boys in Orange :thumbsup:

• NorthCarolinaNick

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:28 PM

I currently own both of these bikes, an 06 WR450 and an 08 450 EXC-R and here are my results:

WR
1. Valve spring broke right over 200 miles causing catastrophe in the top end
2. Water pump seal busted around 300 miles. Was able to fix myself rather cheaply.
3. Tractors my 210 pound frame up steep hills like a champ.
4. Currently at 500 miles total

EXC
1. Leaky fork seals at 200 miles. Fixed at around 3000 miles.
2. Requires less energy to maneuver and just "feels right".
3. Currently at 6900 miles total

Your results WILL vary. These are just mine.

• Navaho6

Posted January 12, 2009 - 07:28 PM

The only KTM I would consider to replace my trusty WR would be the KTM300.

I sold my 2004 300 EXC a year ago and just recently bought a WR450. The 300 is nasty, in a good way BUT too dang buzzy. The 450 is smooth and little more tame but that's what I'm after. They are both excellent bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 12, 2009 - 07:38 PM

GO BLUE! the 450 KTM is unreliable, for example, the 2009 Dakar:

8 KTM 450 entries and 49 Yamaha wr450 entries, thats not co-incedence.
there is one KTM450 left in this years race

The 690 KTM is bulletproof.

Oh and a WR450 is currently in 2nd overall! behind a KTM690.

www.dakar.com

Who would ride the 450 when the 690 is available??? Yamaha teams do not have any other choice but to ride the little 450. It is cool that the Yami 450 is in second, but I guarantee that it is rider, not bike, that has it in 2nd :thumbsup: So, no it is not coincidence :p

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 12, 2009 - 07:41 PM

and they would always be getting flat tires, who knows why, maybe the terrain, the tires the suspension or just plain bad luck.
who knows for sure, but it did always happened to the boys in Orange :p

Tires??? Again find something real to argue about. :thumbsup:

• Guyver

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:00 PM

Who would ride the 450 when the 690 is available??? Yamaha teams do not have any other choice but to ride the little 450.

I think alot depends on the type of riding you're going to do, and whether or not you race. I don't race, and I don't ride only in the desert. I like to ride a little bit of everything. For me, the 690 would probably feel to big and heavy. I just rode a 525 exc on saturaday and I was happy to get back on my 426 because I found it easier to ride more aggressively. That said, I actually am considering an 08 450 EXC. If the WR450 were easier to plate, I probably would consider it more. I also happen to be one of these guys that like the way the new KTM's look.

I am very interested in hearing more from people who own or have owned both bikes. Which bike do you like more? Which bike do you have more fun on?

Lastly, don't you have to make a distinction in the model years? It's my understanding that the 08 and newer KTM's have a totally different engine and have pretty much been redesigned. To be fair, I think you'd have to compare an 08 or newer KTM 450 to a Wr450.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:04 PM

I think alot depends on the type of riding you're going to do, and whether or not you race. I don't race, and I don't ride only in the desert.

My comment was in reference to Dakar, racing thousands of miles through the desert at high speeds. No, I don't want a 690 either :thumbsup:

• Reginald

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:16 PM

I have owned both of the 450's, an (04 KTM) and (07 Yami), these two bikes were both very good for their time, i had one major break down on the KTM (rocker cover bolt snapping off) KTM fixed. But the Yami from 07 onwards is a new bike as is the KTM from 08, iv'e ridden the 09 KTM recently and it was the worst 450 ive ridden, mainly because of the handling. The yami was the easiest bike to ride that ive owned and never had any break downs. If you r looking at new bikes go the yami or Husky or Husaberg (very nice ride) forget the Kato!
Good Luck my 2c!

• cbreakin

Posted January 12, 2009 - 09:51 PM

I'm no KTM expert but is seems they are very quirky motorcycles. Many of my friends ride them and there always seems to be some little issue with them. For example stripped kickstarters, factory blinkers placed in the exhaust stream so they melt off and dangle, air boxes that wont seal (690 enduro) burt out CDIs and they always have some odd oil leak or another, and that awful linkage-less suspension, you want an overly complicated link-less shock over a proven rising rate linkage design just to be different? KTM owners are fanatic though, they love their bikes so ther must be something to them!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.