REPLACING A HELMET

2 replies to this topic
  • nooffseason

Posted July 15, 2002 - 01:08 PM

I have a Arai motocross helmet that is in good condition but 18 years old. It has never had a hard impact and the liner is in great shape. It still fits great. I know the best thing is to replace it but is it still safe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BruceWA

Posted July 15, 2002 - 01:13 PM

IMHO, that depends on the value you place on you brain matter.

• Bill

Posted July 15, 2002 - 01:41 PM

Good question. I think a call to any helmet manufacture would be in order. Also the answer posted here at TT.

It has been my understanding from many years ago. A helmet should be replaced after any hard impact, heavy scratch or ding. Any of these comprimise the helmets ability to absorb impact or stay in tact.

I don't know if age has any effect, styrofoam has the shelf life of nuclear waste :) I would also guess helmet safety standards have risen in the last 18 years.

Try a HJC, inexpensive, fits well, good looking, all the approvals...........

Let us know!

Bill

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.