Yz 426 01 - Stalls under load

11 replies to this topic
  • tjpop

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:57 PM

Need Help. Last week I purchased a 01 426 and the thing ran beautiful when I was testing it out so I packed it up and brought it south to KY to ride over the weekend. I get here and the thing fires up on the second kick after a five hour run at below 30 degree temps I ride it around for five-ten minutes then I stalled it from a stand still. I used the hot button it fired right up and like a chump I stalled it again -from a stand still.:thinking: Now no fire. I finally figured out that like a newbie I flooded it. After my leg wore out kicking it over and over I got a tow and got all the extra gas cleared. Idles fine revs fine and sounds good in neutral. ---Still won't start from a kick and when I put it in gear after the tow, let out the clutch, it dies under the load.?

• Poppy_103v

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:57 PM

Just some extra info on this.

Cleaned the Carb
Put a new spark plug in

Another note... the seller said that he had recently put new rings in the bike.

My initial thought was...
1. rings / compression problem
or
2. timing chain jumped

I've been trying to help troubleshoot over the phone, but it is stumping me how it can run and rev in neutral, but won't stay running under any kind of load.

• tjpop

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:58 AM

Any ideas? - Clutch?

• BC3

Posted January 05, 2009 - 11:45 AM

If the bike ran fine all that time and then all of a sudden started acting up I would think maybe dirt in the pilot circuit? Check all your electrical conn.
and the plug cap for resistance (coil) sounds like dirt though..

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 12:32 PM

If it starts and idles, the pilot circuit is good. The main circuit is another matter, though, and this could be something as simple as a drop of water in the bottom of the float bowl. A needle clip falling out will do the same thing.

Another thing that will do this is weak ignition or a partly shorted plug. As you increase the load, you increase the dynamic compression in the engine, and that increases the electrical resistance across the plug gap, "blowing out" the spark. A plug, a leaking coil wire, or weak ignition energy due to a faulty component could be the root.

Look in the carb first.

• MotoPhotog

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:09 AM

I would change your spark plug. You just flooded it.

If spark plug doesnt work, um....... check your muffler bearing :thinking:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tjpop

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:44 PM

Muffler bearing checked out - plenty of grease. Talked to he young mech. here that had a 426, he thinks the clutch is shot. We'll see.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2009 - 02:17 PM

Better talk to a different mechanic. A total failure of the clutch would not prevent the bike from starting. That's dumber than removing the rear wheel because the front is flat.

• doc427

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:43 PM

Better talk to a different mechanic. A total failure of the clutch would not prevent the bike from starting. That's dumber than removing the rear wheel because the front is flat.

Grey you are the best :thinking: !

• Poppy_103v

Posted January 20, 2009 - 11:00 PM

Just an update. Talked to tjpop. Appears to be a wore out timing chain. Looks like it jumped a tooth (probably reason original owner changed the rings) but still ran ok enough on the purchase ride. The seller had to know there was still a problem with the bike, but too late for that. Looks like it jumped a few more teeth after the second ride and then wouldn't start. It gets out of the shop in a few days.

• x2r

Posted January 21, 2009 - 05:42 AM

Need Help. Last week I purchased a 01 426 and the thing ran beautiful when I was testing it out so I packed it up and brought it south to KY to ride over the weekend. I get here and the thing fires up on the second kick after a five hour run at below 30 degree temps I ride it around for five-ten minutes then I stalled it from a stand still. I used the hot button it fired right up and like a chump I stalled it again -from a stand still.:thumbsup: Now no fire. I finally figured out that like a newbie I flooded it. After my leg wore out kicking it over and over I got a tow and got all the extra gas cleared. Idles fine revs fine and sounds good in neutral. ---Still won't start from a kick and when I put it in gear after the tow, let out the clutch, it dies under the load.?

go to your manual and set the accelerator pump - the manual will tell you how to do this, acc pump may be so far out of adj, giving it too much fuel. - also your tps could be off.......

• tjpop

Posted March 05, 2009 - 05:46 AM

The timing jumped 6 teeth. Now it runs just fine. It sat for 3 weeks and started on the 3rd kick. :ride: - Just for the record and to all other newbies- if you follow starting procedure and your carb is tuned half way decent, the 426's are not that hard to start. Nice bike and plenty of grunt. :p

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.