"squealing'' starter motor

31 replies to this topic
  • waterman7474

Posted March 06, 2009 - 08:10 AM

I just removed my electric starter the other day because of a squealing noise. New springs and brushes installed. I do not quite get the yoke position. In my manual it says I should align the yoke against a marking on the cover. However, I do not see a marking on the yoke, so I am not sure the yoke is positioned correctly?

"make sure the two magnets inside the yoke are exactly lined up with the positive terminal sitting on top of the starter motor".

I don't get it...there are two magnets inside the yoke, right? Only one can be align towards the positive terminal at a time? Or am I misunderstanding?

Yeah....I really had a problem with this too. There mine definitely didn't have this mark either!! Of course, i didn't realize this till i went to put it back together!!! i'm there were plenty of long marks on that casing.

FOR THOSE OF YOU ABOUT TO DO THIS........MARK ALL THREE PIECES OF THE MOTOR BEFORE YOU TAKE IT APART.

i really thought i was good but since i wasn't sure, i put the motor back on the bike (sort of) and connected the ground and positive and hit the button....yep..spun the wrong way. i then marked the case and spun it 180degrees and its fine now.

• DrBosa

Posted March 06, 2009 - 11:02 AM

Look at the stater motor houseing and end cap. There are marks.

There are markings on both rear and front covers, but nothing on the housing unfortunately. maybe it has been worn off, although that seems strange. Anyway, it would be good to know how the magnets should align towards the positive terminal (or something else).

• DrBosa

Posted March 06, 2009 - 11:49 AM

Yeah....I really had a problem with this too. There mine definitely didn't have this mark either!! Of course, i didn't realize this till i went to put it back together!!! i'm there were plenty of long marks on that casing.

FOR THOSE OF YOU ABOUT TO DO THIS........MARK ALL THREE PIECES OF THE MOTOR BEFORE YOU TAKE IT APART.

i really thought i was good but since i wasn't sure, i put the motor back on the bike (sort of) and connected the ground and positive and hit the button....yep..spun the wrong way. i then marked the case and spun it 180degrees and its fine now.

Good advice. I should have done that. I never learn...I usually trust my memory or my ability as a mechanic although memory is bad and my skills suck :-).

So, you just answered my next question about what happens if you misalign the yoke. It turns counterclockwise.

• shaunone

Posted March 06, 2009 - 12:58 PM

I had the same issue, although mine was a little more serious. Marking the barrel is the most important part, as mine did not have a mark on it when I removed it. I tore the thing apart and discovered the bushing in the endcap was worn out, so we had a machine shop CNC us some new bronze bushings as yamaha doesnt sell them seperate. I did not align the barrel properly, reassembled and for some reason the motor was cooked. It would spin on the bench but not under load. I took it too a Auto Tech and he put it on the growler and said the windings were bad. It worked before I took it off, just made lots of noise, so I dont know if putting on the barrel wrong cooked it or not, maybe it already was on the way out. Anyways I bought a new motor from yamaha and sure enough the new motor has the barrel marked, in FELT PEN. Its easy to see how this mark can wear off...

• DrBosa

Posted March 07, 2009 - 12:57 AM

Anyways I bought a new motor from yamaha and sure enough the new motor has the barrel marked, in FELT PEN. Its easy to see how this mark can wear off...

Hmm...that kinda explains it :p

• DrBosa

Posted March 07, 2009 - 05:12 AM

Just went out to the garage and tested my starter. It spins counter clockwise (facing the axis). Then I turned the casing 180 degrees, and it still spins counter clockwise...? It is rellay hard to see which way it spins because of the speed, so I am not 100% sure. But I just want to double check...which way is it supposed to spin when facing the axis?

EDIT:
Ok, this guy helped a great deal to understand.
. I am not convinced that a 180 degree turn of the stator would change the rotating direction, it could just as well be 10 degrees, all depending on where you started out.

Still, if someone knows how to align the stator against the brushes it would help a lot. Thanks for all help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • graazzy

Posted March 07, 2009 - 03:07 PM

Just went out to the garage and tested my starter. It spins counter clockwise (facing the axis). Then I turned the casing 180 degrees, and it still spins counter clockwise...? It is rellay hard to see which way it spins because of the speed, so I am not 100% sure. But I just want to double check...which way is it supposed to spin when facing the axis?

EDIT:
Ok, this guy helped a great deal to understand.
. I am not convinced that a 180 degree turn of the stator would change the rotating direction, it could just as well be 10 degrees, all depending on where you started out.

Still, if someone knows how to align the stator against the brushes it would help a lot. Thanks for all help.

Clockwise ,make sure the positive is connected to the lug that points directly out of the body and the negative is connected to one of the bolt holes .

• DrBosa

Posted March 08, 2009 - 03:01 AM

Thanks. Built it all back up today and although the electric starter works a little better than before, it still squeals, especially when it revs down. Also it is not as powerful as it should be (battery in good condition).

Is the only thing left swapping the starter for another? Can it be the starter clutch or something else?

• graazzy

Posted May 30, 2009 - 10:35 PM

Update ; The squealing has returned . I am getting a new brass bush machined as you can't buy these . Will post pics soon.

• SoCA_DRZ

Posted December 15, 2010 - 08:36 AM

I currently have mine apart and am cleaning it due to the squeel. Have a quick question, do I need to lube the bushing in the end cap with moly paste or just the needle bearing? Thanks!

• William1

Posted December 15, 2010 - 12:43 PM

Yes, use moly lube (sparingly) on both the needle bearing and the bushing

• SoCA_DRZ

Posted December 15, 2010 - 02:24 PM

Thanks William. I'm going to finish cleaning it up, testing it, and putting it back together tonight. The hard part will be getting that thing back in, it sure was a tight fit wrangling it out of there!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.