WR426 doesn't idle after throttle roll off

7 replies to this topic
  • ioan_vapi

Posted January 03, 2009 - 02:34 PM

I'm the new owner of a used WR426. It's my first offroad bike. It looks like I get used with this bike and I observed the detail described below.
When I ride the bike in the first gear and I roll off (release) the throttle the engine doesn't idle but stays little higher even I roll off the throttle by hand. More than that, if I want to idle the engine I have to use the rear break.

Another scenario: I pull the clutch, roll off the throttle and the engine doesn't idle but it's a little bit higher. At this moment, if I release the clutch lever then the engine idle when the first gear is connected. Very important here, when I pull the clutch again, the engine idle.

First assumption is about throttle cable but I do roll off the throttle by hand, not just release it. In neutral I roll on the throttle 1/4 and release it immediately. Very rarely the engine idle after this action.

The second assumption is about the carburetor. Maybe a cleaning is required but the engine (+the carburetor) should be consistent and doesn't idle in above scenarios.

The third assumption is about TPS. I read on this forum about TPS mod and I disconnected it today for a while. It looked like the idle is better. I'll continue to experiment with TPS on/off. I cannot figure out how TPS can influence idle.

Please, can someone give me some suggestions or logical explanations?

• 43Duc748

Posted January 11, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Sounds like clogged jets. I had the same problem on my bike and the advice was that it was a hanging idle brought on my clogged jets. I took my jets out the other day and cleaned them. I haven't yet taken it out to ride, so I don't know if it fixed the problem. I have high hopes!

• bluebreadtruck

Posted January 11, 2009 - 07:25 PM

yeah typical clogged idle jet,.,..clean the carb

• William1

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:21 AM

Yup, partially clogged pilot jet. If a replacement is available, simply replace it as cleaning it 100% can be hard to do.

TPS affects idle because it changes ignition timing. Check to make sure it is adjusted correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dee Perry

Posted January 12, 2009 - 08:58 PM

X2 clogged jet. For 5 dollars dont even try to clean it. Replace it.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:19 PM

The carb is dirty and your float could be sticking.

• Scotty426

Posted January 13, 2009 - 12:00 AM

I went through living misery on my YZ 426. I was running too lean on the pilot and it would run away at idle or die in alternating sequence, no rime or reason. I cleaned everythig and adjusted the float all to no avail. I needed more pilot and more fuel screw. ANd no, it didn't lean pop like you would expect. Don't know why, maybe my quiet muffler. Good luck. The 426 is a keeper when you get it right.

• ioan_vapi

Posted January 17, 2009 - 01:45 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Last time I tried the mod for airbox and I observed an improvement but still sometimes the idle is higher. The next step is to clean the carb and all jets. I'll check the TPS voltage too.

I never opened the carburetor and I don't know what jets I have. I'm thinking to buy a JD Jets Kit.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.