2008 Wr450

22 replies to this topic
  • Boondoggie

Posted January 02, 2009 - 11:32 PM

I am a new WR450 owner, just bought it New years Eve 2008. I live in Santa Clarita, Ca and I am looking for a good shop to do work on the bike. I am fairly skilled but the thought of jacking up my new bike scares me. I would like to do the free mods, maybe new pipe, jetting, etc after the break in, but I am worried abut doing them myself (I know, I know, Pu$$%). Can anyone recommend a shop in the area they have used with success? I heard Yamaha dealers wont do many of the "free mods" due to getting fined $10,000.. If this is incorrect than I will go to my local Yamaha dealer. I hope this is not a "best item" question. Thanks for the info...

Mike

• SXP

Posted January 03, 2009 - 12:31 AM

Take it to ESP. Have George set up your suspension while he's at it.

• Birdy426

Posted January 03, 2009 - 12:42 AM

Yup. ESP is a great shop! When I bought my 426, ESP had done the suspension for the previous owner. I called them and asked about tweaks for my weight, speed (or lack of it) and style. They gave me some suggestions over the phone that worked bitchin. They stand behind their stuff!

• SXP

Posted January 03, 2009 - 09:50 AM

Take it to ESP. Have George set up your suspension while he's at it.

BTW, ESP is a full service shop, not just suspension - although that's what they are best known for.

• Boondoggie

Posted January 03, 2009 - 03:25 PM

where is it located? phone number, website?

• Boondoggie

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:34 PM

is it the one on foothill in La Crescenta?

• andrea420

Posted January 04, 2009 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, I'd also like to know where it's at

• STECKNINE

Posted January 04, 2009 - 10:13 AM

I am a new WR450 owner, just bought it New years Eve 2008. I live in Santa Clarita, Ca and I am looking for a good shop to do work on the bike. I am fairly skilled but the thought of jacking up my new bike scares me. I would like to do the free mods, maybe new pipe, jetting, etc after the break in, but I am worried abut doing them myself (I know, I know, Pu$$%). Can anyone recommend a shop in the area they have used with success? I heard Yamaha dealers wont do many of the "free mods" due to getting fined $10,000.. If this is incorrect than I will go to my local Yamaha dealer. I hope this is not a "best item" question. Thanks for the info...

Mike

With doing all the stuff myself I would say, there is a lot of stuff that is not that difficult but, when it comes to rejeting the carb it can be a pain in the ASS. I would do as much yourself as you can! You will get to know your bike better. The whole ais system was a breeze.

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:59 PM

is it the one on foothill in La Crescenta?

http://mysuspension.com/

Click on the "contact us" link for directions.

• Butta

Posted January 13, 2009 - 07:30 PM

Dude, do it yourself....save the cash and learn your bike. I don't trust ANYONE to work on my bikes. I do all my work, and when there's something that goes wrong I have a much higher understanding of what it could be. Your shop won't be there trailside when something's out of adjustment, sux to ruin a great weekend's ride with something that you can fix yourself so get to learning right away... my $0.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ZTUNAMANN

Posted January 14, 2009 - 08:27 PM

I pick up my new '08 WR450 next weekend...what is the best pipe? Does it need to be re-jetted with a new pipe? Should I wait until after break-in to add the pipe/jet?

Thanks ALL!

PS: Is there any kind of WR club in SoCal?

• Boondoggie

Posted January 15, 2009 - 04:58 PM

I pick up my new '08 WR450 next weekend...what is the best pipe? Does it need to be re-jetted with a new pipe? Should I wait until after break-in to add the pipe/jet?

Thanks ALL!

PS: Is there any kind of WR club in SoCal?

I would definitely break it in before you do any major adjustments to it. I ran mine in Gorman for about 4-5 hours for the first break in day. I ran it just below normal riding conditions, trying to vary a bit through RPM's and gears. I just took it in to get a new pipe, jetted, oil change, grey wire, etc. I personally dont have the time (or much expertise) so I would rather pay to have it done right. I would love to know how to do everything myself, but I am limited mainly with time to do so. I went with an FMF pipe.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:19 PM

i also strongly suggest taking it to george over at ESP. he is by far the best out here. i had him redo my suspension and i i would never take it any where else after how good of a job he did. and not only that, it was done right the first time and has been great for the past 4 years.

• Swiveler1973

Posted January 15, 2009 - 08:25 PM

I have to agree that doing all of the work you can is the way to go. I bought
a brand new 07 wr450 last April and by the end of the summer it was uncorked, rejetted, cycra guards, skid plated, shark finned, IMS oversized tank, scotts submount stabilizer, greased up all of the suspension, changed the fluid in the shocks, changed the oil religiously, and put on a trials tire The only thing left on my to do list is a FMF Q2 pipe and a rekluse pro clutch set up. Doing it all myself was very rewarding, and almost all of the information
came from the experiance of having a wr400 and knowing how I wanted to set up my next bike. Any questions I did not know were answered right here.

• starfish

Posted January 16, 2009 - 08:12 AM

Can any one explain the PIPE thing to me? I don't get it. My 07 wr is very far from stock. Why get a pipe when you can't use the power. Fix the suspension first. And only get a pipe if you really want to :thumbsup: piss people off with noise. YES i race and have won with the stock pipe and muffler.

• ZTUNAMANN

Posted January 16, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Boondoggie...which FMF?

Where are George and ESP located?

I am in South OC even though my thingy says Delaware!?!?!?!?!

Thanks!

• dustdogg

Posted January 16, 2009 - 07:19 PM

Boondoggie...which FMF?

Where are George and ESP located?

I am in South OC even though my thingy says Delaware!?!?!?!?!

Thanks!

Here it is again.

http://mysuspension.com/

Click on contact us.

• ZTUNAMANN

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:13 PM

No matter where ya go...there ya are! Of course I grew up just down the road from George in old La Canada (thats right...class of '88) and now I am down here in the south OC with everyone else lookin for a good technician!!!

• Boondoggie

Posted January 17, 2009 - 04:19 PM

I went with a Q4 pipe. And to answer the question about the pipe--CAUSE I WANTED TO!!!! I runs a little better with an aftermarket pipe when mods are done to the bike, IMO it sounds better a bit louder and deeper, and I had the cash so why not? To each his own---so I did.....

• Boondoggie

Posted January 17, 2009 - 04:22 PM

Can any one explain the PIPE thing to me? I don't get it. My 07 wr is very far from stock. Why get a pipe when you can't use the power. Fix the suspension first. And only get a pipe if you really want to :p piss people off with noise. YES i race and have won with the stock pipe and muffler.

To answer the question about the pipe--CAUSE I WANTED TO!!!! It runs a little better with an aftermarket pipe when mods are done to the bike, IMO it sounds better a bit louder and deeper, and I had the cash so why not? To each his own---so I did. I am happy for you that you can win without an aftermarket pipe. You must be a great rider. When you get sponsored you can turn down the pipe guys.....:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.