'96 YZ 250 - What are your thoughts?

8 replies to this topic
  • chriso83

Posted January 02, 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hi All,
I'm shopping for a KX or YZ 250 and came across this bike. Is seems high in price for a '96 even though is looks to be in good shape.

What are your thoughts on the '96 model and the modifications of this bike?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
ChrisO83

Posted Image

Posted Image

96 YZ250 (Green sticker reg - 2010) "N-Style" Hot Wheels Graphics with gripper seat cover, New Top End, 2002 YZF suspension,Forks just serviced with new seals,Maxis tires,new sprockets and RK gold chain ,black plastics,fmf header/Gold series with power core 2 silencer,etc. Too fast!!! original plastics and exaust included. $2000.

• MarkBYZ250

Posted January 02, 2009 - 09:53 PM

I have a 96 with the same exhaust and silencer. I like mine it's got plenty of power. I trail ride more than anything though.

• 800screws

Posted January 03, 2009 - 07:40 AM

$1200-1000....i mean it's a 96. i bought my 05 for 2000 with pro circuit pipe/silencer, fastway pegs, and braces...

unless he redid the crank, top end, chassis bearings, new brakes, chains and sprockets, i'd say no way even close to that price.
those are all the things u will probably have to do if u get the bike. by that time u will have another 1000 into it and could of bought a
06 or newer yz.

• R1der

Posted January 03, 2009 - 07:52 AM

My friend got an 03 or 04 for like $1700 so $2grand is def high. Especially with the 2 stroke market... theres no way that bike could sell for that much.

For some reason the second pic makes it look like an alum frame tho?? 1st pic looks older.

Also who knows what kinda shape it is in really? Cosmetically it looks fine but 12 years is a long time for wear and tear to invest in something like that.

• RCannon

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:28 AM

Its priced a a little high. Looks like the guy polished it up and wants top dollar.

However, check out his driveway. He appears to have two older cars in good shape. This COULD be someone who just takes care of his stuff and sells it for top dollar. I would offer 12-1500.00. At 2k it better come with brand new tires, chain, sprockets, and receipts.

PS....As you'll notice looking through the page. A used motorcycle has never been sold that did not get "JUST REBUILT". LOL

• CaptDan

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:30 AM

The 1996 YZs are good bikes.

96 YZ250 (Green sticker reg - 2010) "N-Style" Hot Wheels Graphics with gripper seat cover, New Top End, 2002 YZF suspension, forks just serviced with new seals, Maxis tires, new sprockets and RK gold chain, black plastics, fmf header/Gold series with power core 2 silencer, etc. Too fast!!! original plastics and exaust included. $2000.

Like 800screws said, this one is worth about $1000 - $1200, only because it seems you won't have to do much to it.
I've seem similar bikes sell for $750 - $950.

And like R1der said, the bike is 12 years old. These days, you can get a lot of bike for $2000.

The seller is just fishing.
Give him your number, walk away, and he'll be calling you once a week with a new, lower price. :smirk:

I would be a little concerned about the "2002 YZF suspension". There were lots of little changes done to the suspension (especially the rear) between 1996 and 2002, so unless the new parts were dialed-in for the bike (springs and valving) you could be asking for trouble.
(That could be why he says the bike seems, "Too fast"!) :thinking:

Good luck, and keep us updated!

• RCannon

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:39 AM

I did not notice the 2002 suspension. If hes running the 2002 rear shock, without mods, its too long for the bike. The swingarm changed too much between 96 and 02 to make that swap possible without a ton of work.

• chriso83

Posted January 03, 2009 - 06:02 PM

I went and gave it a look and test ride.
Although it is a very strong engine, he is asking way too much for the bike.
(It funny because he is selling the bike because it is too fast / strong for him. I mentioned a flywheel weight to soften the power curve)

He said he paid $2400 here in CA and has put another $500 into it. Except for the upgraded graphics and front end it was not in the shape I was expecting for the price. Plus he was very "firm" on the price. So I'm still looking.

Thanks for the help though.

I'm looking at another YZ 250 and will post it here in a few minutes.

• CaptDan

Posted January 04, 2009 - 07:54 AM

I went and gave it a look and test ride.
...Except for the upgraded graphics and front end it was not in the shape I was expecting for the price. Plus he was very "firm" on the price. So I'm still looking.

Smart man. :thinking:

There were lots of (very worthwhile) brake and suspension advances done on the 1998 YZs, and the 1999 250's received a class-leading motor (basically the same motor as used in the current bikes).

So keep that in mind when considering the 'value' of bikes you see. :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ250 2013 by MXRider72

Yamaha YZ250 2013
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by kb26racer
  • On July 10, 2014
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.