01 WR426 Running a little rough...

7 replies to this topic
  • WVrider20

Posted January 02, 2009 - 02:29 PM

I just had a few questions after riding my new 426 for the first time and was hoping to get a little help. The free mods I have done include throttle stop, grey wire, air box lid, and exhaust baffle. I cannot be more pleased with the power the bike makes but it has a few kinks to work out...

1. I notice that it tends to stall while riding, especially during a down shift, when it gets hot and then is a real pain the the ass to start.
2. When I am on the throttle, let off, and then go to get back in it, the bike boggs pretty heavily.

from what ive read it seems like a jetting issue, or something with the accel. pump, but im new to this bike and dont know a whole lot about it. Any help on fixing these problems would be greatly appreciated

• 642MX

Posted January 02, 2009 - 05:59 PM

Start with a JD Jet Kit and a good carb cleaning. :thinking:

• byggd

Posted January 03, 2009 - 04:31 AM

You really need to pull the carb and find out what jets you are currently running, give it a good cleaning and go from there.

• WVrider20

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:51 PM

Damn thats the only advice i can get lol. I pretty sure the carb isnt clogged up casue the bike never really sat for any length of time. so your tellin me the jet kit will solve all the problems?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Damn thats the only advice i can get lol. I pretty sure the carb isnt clogged up casue the bike never really sat for any length of time. so your tellin me the jet kit will solve all the problems?

The FCR carbs get dirty from normal use, I clean mine once a year if it runs bad or not. The JD kit will clean up your jetting and give you better throttle response and possibly solve your problems (its where I would start).

• matt4x4

Posted January 06, 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hard to start when hot could be a sign of valve shim tolerances getting too tight.

• byggd

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:54 AM

In other words because the bike is new to you, you need to start with the basics. Is the carb clean, are the valves within spec, is the air intake system sealing properly etc etc etc. When trying to start it hot are you using the hot start system?

• WVrider20

Posted January 06, 2009 - 02:59 PM

sometimes when i got tired of kicking it i used the hot start and it worked. the other times it eventually fired up after 10 or so kicks. thanks for the advice, ill fire up my heater and get the in shed!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.