426 Shift Forks Bad?

3 replies to this topic
  • racerx573

Posted January 02, 2009 - 12:56 PM

On my '01 426 motor, the bike does not shift into gear right away, it always has to be rocked back and forth, or move the shifter all the way up or down, and then back up/down to the gear I was trying to shift into.

Are my forks bad, or is it something else? Shift drum? Actual gears? Don't have much experience with this motor.

• 642MX

Posted January 02, 2009 - 04:33 PM

It could be a shift fork thats bent/worn or you could have a dog thats torn up. Your going to have to split the cases to find out, but its not a bad job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BC3

Posted January 02, 2009 - 07:37 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Sounds like you might have a broken shift mechanism
that rotates the shift drum..Easy to check it's behind the clutch hub.... [/COLOR]

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2009 - 11:30 PM

On my '01 426 motor, the bike does not shift into gear right away, it always has to be rocked back and forth, or move the shifter all the way up or down, and then back up/down to the gear I was trying to shift into.

Are my forks bad, or is it something else? Shift drum? Actual gears? Don't have much experience with this motor.

Is this with the engine shut off?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.