Cam Chain Tensioner

2 replies to this topic
  • spunalot

Posted January 02, 2009 - 08:10 AM

I discovered my cam chain tensioner was buggered up inside, and not working. Luckily the chain did not jump but it was making a bunch of noise. The shop is not open and I have a race this weekend. So what I did is I took the spring inside the tensioner and stretched it out to about 6 inches. I cut the bent ends of it and put it back together. I adjusted out manually with a screw driver. Anyone one have any thoughts on if this will hold that way. Normally the spring acts like a watch spring and twists the adjuster around as needed. Now the spring is pushing out. ???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 02, 2009 - 05:55 PM

I wouldn't chance it. If it doesn't work and jumps time, it could cost you a lot of money to fix.

• zuch95701

Posted January 02, 2009 - 11:04 PM

i would change your tensioner and your cam chain before your bike looses it and you doo 800 in damage to your top end.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.