WR Kick Starter Hard to turn open & Close

7 replies to this topic
  • TSFRANKLIN

Posted January 01, 2009 - 06:47 PM

I have a 07 WR and I have a real hard time openening the kick starter to kick start. I have oil it and it does not help. i would like to kick it more often because it cranks right up, but it is such a pain to open and close it.. Any ideas?

• brad the best

Posted January 01, 2009 - 08:36 PM

try some wd-40 if it works then get some dry silicone lube on it or graphite lube the wd-40 will attract dirt . .

its a lot better then it being loose and rattling or flipping out .

my 03's kicker is still pretty stiff compared to a lot of bikes .

maybe there is some dirt in the pivot , you could try and take it apart and clean it .

• KennyMc

Posted January 01, 2009 - 10:01 PM

I have a 07 WR and I have a real hard time openening the kick starter to kick start. I have oil it and it does not help. i would like to kick it more often because it cranks right up, but it is such a pain to open and close it.. Any ideas?

Oh crap, that's what that thing is for. I was using it as a clothes hanger:smirk:

Sorry, as was already stated, I would use the dry silicone and check the pivot.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 02, 2009 - 12:35 AM

My buddy used to have a CR that was like that. Made a sound almost like two pieces of rusted out pig iron being lubed by a grain of sand :thinking:. It was annoying.

If lubing it doesn't work kick starters can be had for reasonable prices on e-bay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ckroto

Posted January 02, 2009 - 07:15 AM

Not a big deal. Happened on my 07 also. Just pull the bolt, remove the kickstarter. Clean all parts and reassemble with a good quality grease. Everything goes right back to normal.:thinking:

• WR_Dave

Posted January 02, 2009 - 08:11 AM

Just make sure you keep track of the spring and detent ball when you take it apart, they sometimes fly away never to be seen again. WR Dave

• YamaLink

Posted January 02, 2009 - 08:14 AM

You must've been lurking in my garage when that happened to me. The silver lining in the detent ball/spring search is that the garage actually gets sorted out and I find things I lost in previous pull aparts....unfortunately I no longer own that Suzuki TE125 so this clutch collar does me no good.

Just make sure you keep track of the spring and detent ball when you take it apart, they sometimes fly away never to be seen again. WR Dave

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 02, 2009 - 09:23 AM

they sometimes fly away never to be seen again. WR Dave

Sometimes?!?!?! :thinking:

Anyway... this method will fix all your problems but like WR_Dave says... don't lose the spring and ball.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.