efi yamaha?

53 replies to this topic
  • YFZRooster

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Raider50
... the electric start ...went out 6 months after i got it and after countless trips to the shop still dosnt work

Just what they say about each new technology. :thinking:

• rusty 92

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:38 PM

Im guessin yamaha is gonna be FI next year with the yz450f AND the 250F I HOPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rexbond007

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:40 PM

i'm planning on a 2011-i'll see how the 10's do

• husqy360

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:17 AM

did you guys see chad reed crash into james stewart, look like js had a little bog out of the corner and couldnt start it after. that was a preety bad crash i feel bad for him.
seems like efi start alot better when engine is hot as well.
amazing race that for sure.

• no air charlie

Posted January 04, 2009 - 10:56 AM

Don't get me wrong because I like the idea of fuel injection, but you better go back and watch how many times Windham kicked his fuel injected Honda trying to get it started. Bubba's bike was dropped twice once from the initial crash and once from KW hitting him. That engine was flooded twice before he attempted to restart.

• rexbond007

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:09 PM

i don't think he tried hard enough to start it. Do you guys think if he did get it running, right after the crash would he had finished the race?

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:36 PM

He could have, but whether he would have depends on the condition his bike and he were in, and in how badly rattled he was. He went down pretty hard, and most of you know how disoriented one can get after something like that, and how easy it is to go down again afterward because you haven't fully recovered.

Then too, if he used his head and backed off, he would have got up to what, 10th? I'm sure in his mind, it was all-or-nothing. He'll be back.

• husqy360

Posted January 04, 2009 - 03:57 PM

ya i think he knocket out for a sec.

• Guerilla_Tactics

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:34 PM

The same thing happened to James in the MXdN... Crashed and couldn't get it started. Hard to get the big bikes started once they're flooded. EFI stops pushing fuel in when the motor stops. I watched it again today... Villopoto's KXF took 2 kicks to get reignited and Reed's RMZ took 3 kicks.

Being a YZF rider it pains me to say that the other 3 bikes have an advantage when it comes to re-firing.

• husqy360

Posted January 04, 2009 - 11:15 PM

The same thing happened to James in the MXdN... Crashed and couldn't get it started. Hard to get the big bikes started once they're flooded. EFI stops pushing fuel in when the motor stops. I watched it again today... Villopoto's KXF took 2 kicks to get reignited and Reed's RMZ took 3 kicks.

Being a YZF rider it pains me to say that the other 3 bikes have an advantage when it comes to re-firing.

+1 and as we see its a big advantage somtimes.
i never had a problem re-firing my bike tho. knock on wood.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted January 05, 2009 - 12:08 PM

bubba made several mistakes. first and foremost, he was listening to Tweetybird dancing around in front of his eyes and thought he was on a 125smoker and kicked it as such. second, he kept doing that. third, he never really tried to clear it out. yes, looked bad for blue, but was it really the bikes fault?
yes, his drive off the corner seemed to lack power...right about where he tried to either stand or that point. now, was he in the wrong gear in an attempt to block CR or what? he might remember what happened, probably not. he's lucky he's not out with a broke collar bone or shoulder.

to me his bike did not look that well setup until he put the pass on CR in the whoops. the rest looked wrong. maybe he just was off and not riding to the level the bike was setup for? i think in a few weeks after a few wins we'll find out he was loo-loo for a few secs there and is closing in on 199 for concussion counts.

efi for the race teams can make sense at times. for the rest of us....not so much. if it was a closed loop system, it would be fine for all.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 12:43 PM

Bubba was dinged, alright, but there were several things about that whole incident that were wrong. Not the least of these is the fact that Windham hit him so far down track from the corner. Kevin is a very experienced, very clean rider, and it really surprises me that that happened. He may have though Stewart would see him coming, but JS was too blinked to catch that, I guess. It still seems very unlike KW, if you ask me.

Whatever else is said about it, there's no excuse for Reed having hit Stewart that far out of the corner when the lead bike did anything less than drop anchor in front of him. Any expert rider with that much saddle time is supposed to be able to avoid that. I wouldn't say it was deliberate, but it was pretty lame, IMO.

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 05, 2009 - 01:51 PM

After watching Bubba sit there trying to kick it over while the EFI bikes got back to it does not bode well for Yamaha.

and what cuased Bubba's crash? He came out of the corner and the bike died, then Chad Reed ran him over. or did Bubba just hit nuetral?

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:05 PM

I watched it. I didn't see it die. If it died, it went an awfully long way after it was hit for a dead bike. Reed ran a line trying to get under him, couldn't hold it down and failed to back off in time to avoid the collision. That's how I saw it. :thinking:

• Wiz636

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Reed said after the race that he thought JS had missed a shift and hit neutral.

• Wiz636

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:23 PM

As far as restarting is concerned I NEVER have a problem restarting my bike when it is hot.

But trying to restart after taking a blow to the noggin like he did and then getting taken out by KW right after that, well, I can see how he forgot how to get his bike started.

KW made a bad decision trying to sneak around JS like that under a yellow flag...but then again, the speed that these guys pound the whoops doesn't really allow them to change lines quickly or hit the brakes.

• FinchFan194

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:42 PM

I watched it. I didn't see it die. If it died, it went an awfully long way after it was hit for a dead bike. Reed ran a line trying to get under him, couldn't hold it down and failed to back off in time to avoid the collision. That's how I saw it. :thinking:

You do realize JS admitted on National TV that he "made a stupid mistake" to Erin Bates on Speed. So how would that be Reeds fault when those guys are riding that hard Reed can't just "back off" and yield to JS. JS was riding over his head and lost control whether it be from hitting neutral or a bog is unknown. Why do people always make excuses for JS. Bottom line is he made a mistake in a tight racing situation and caused himself to DNF, and should be happy he didn't get injured.

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:47 PM

the bike stalls. check out the video.

starts out with Bubba passing Chad Reed to take the lead back. he does this thru the whoops. and enters the corner on an endo. wicked move. then after a few corners his bike dies just after entering the whoops and Chad Reed run's over him. then Windam runs over Bubba. and bubba can't start his bike.

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:05 PM

the bike stalls. check out the video.

starts out with Bubba passing Chad Reed to take the lead back. he does this thru the whoops. and enters the corner on an endo. wicked move. then after a few corners his bike dies just after entering the whoops and Chad Reed run's over him. then Windam runs over Bubba. and bubba can't start his bike.

watch bubba's head bob forward just before the crash. The bike was decelerating rapidly before Chad hits him. I don’t think he hit neutral. Either the bike stalled or he accidentally down shifted.

• yz007f

Posted January 05, 2009 - 03:56 PM

To me the yzf motor works so well right now, why would you want to mess with it.. K-dub kicked that bike 5 times and then the camera went off of him. So maybe 7-8 times before he got it started.....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.