Plating an 04 WR450 in Cali

13 replies to this topic
  • Apple

Posted December 31, 2008 - 04:17 PM

Has anyone ever been able to get an 04 WR450 plated in Cal? I would love to do it to mine but not having the AIS has me wondering if that`s a deal stopper. I`ve heard that it depends on the day and who`w working the counter at DMV, so I`m really clueless.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 31, 2008 - 05:33 PM

Has anyone ever been able to get an 04 WR450 plated in Cal? I would love to do it to mine but not having the AIS has me wondering if that`s a deal stopper. I`ve heard that it depends on the day and who`w working the counter at DMV, so I`m really clueless.

hate to say it but its not possible in CA any longer:banghead:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 31, 2008 - 07:55 PM

The AIS is not the issue. You are right, it does depend on who's working the counter at the DMV that day.

Give it a try. All they can say is no. You might get lucky. But you will NEVER get a plate if you don't try.

• DS-WR450F

Posted December 31, 2008 - 09:02 PM

Even if you get lucky, and get a plate, California is auditing all registrations, and revoking any bikes converted to street legal after Jan of 04', so it will be caught soon enough.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 31, 2008 - 09:23 PM

You are right, it does depend on who's working the counter at the DMV that day.

you are absolutely wrong...the law changed in 04 its no longer possible:bonk:

• Apple

Posted December 31, 2008 - 11:13 PM

I`m glad I wasn`t too bent on getting a plate right now, guess it`s gotta be on the next bike before I buy it. Hey guys thanks for the info.

• DrzDasher

Posted January 01, 2009 - 11:34 AM

All depends on who you know and how much you are willing to pay. Anything can be done for the right amount of cash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 96sp00wr

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:59 PM

I have a buddy that bought a plated WR in CA and upon changing registration over they pulled the plates. Kind of a bummer. I still find it funny I joined TT in '02 and I am a newbie!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 01, 2009 - 04:00 PM

you are absolutely wrong...the law changed in 04 its no longer possible:bonk:

I know what's legal and what the law says. But the right person working the counter at the DMV just might issue you a plate. It is a risk that you will lose it later. But what's the harm in letting them tell you no? You might get lucky.

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 01, 2009 - 04:16 PM

All depends on who you know and how much you are willing to pay. Anything can be done for the right amount of cash.

In regards to the standard process and asumming you have a dual sport kit installed. the critcal issue is there is a form that must be signed by an inspector or CHP. on the form there is a check box for federal emissions compliance sticker on the bike.. the WR does not have this sticker. some KTM and Huskys have the sticker. there may be other stumbling blocks but that was as far as I got in the research. so if you know a guy that is dumb and greedy enuff to check that box, then maybe. :busted:

I talked to a guy that "scraps" your bike. then salvages it under a new vin number and then gets it inspected. I thought about it, but was too chicken, I worried that he could scrap the bike and then he'd sell the parts. I recall the price was around $1400 including a weak dual sport kit.

PS. the emissions on the WR is CARB approved, not federal approved.

• disastergrafix

Posted January 01, 2009 - 11:50 PM

I have been looking into this as well. I have an 07 wr450. What I was thinking is why couldn't I go register it in Nevada a 1.5 hour drive? I have been reading the Nevada DMV website and it says nothing about having to have a residence there. I know in some states it doesn't matter. Has anyone seriously looked into this? If so post your thoughts and issues. Thanks

• DS-WR450F

Posted January 02, 2009 - 12:40 AM

Not sure about the residency, I think you will need a Nevada residence to use.
Nevada will require 2 mirrors, horn, high low beam, brakelight, turn signals, at a minimum. A Nevada motorcycle dealer will have to certify all requirements. Big Valley Honda, in Reno did mine. They will issue a certification that you take to DMV. DMV will do a Vin inspection, to make sure bike matches the paperwork, then they will issue a reconstructed title that will allow you to register the bike.

• disastergrafix

Posted January 02, 2009 - 12:53 AM

Do you think this is a doable thing if you bought the bike in CA? It sure would be sweet since I am looking at some supermoto wheels...Then I would have to have insurance on it I guess and hopefully ride it back here in CA on some good back roads...So do you think this plate would be grandfathered in after this point? I might as well move to NEvada, way better rules, and sweet riding spots...

• DS-WR450F

Posted January 03, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Anything is doable in Nevada. There is no way your bike will ever be legally plated in Cali. It would have to have been converted, and licenced prior to Jan 04'.
X2 on living in Nevada. No problem making my WR street legal, no off road registration required on any bike, and more sweet trails than I will be able to cover in this lifetime.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.