Clutch Removal

12 replies to this topic
  • comxrdr

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:18 PM

The clutch on my son's KX65 is slipping bad. I've never done a clutch before, but it really doesn't seem to hard. I got the cover off, but my question is how do you remove the main bolt (the service manual calls it the clutch hub nut. The service manual also says to hold the magneto flywheel with a puller tool, but I can't see what this does. I can hold it but the clutch still spins. I've got the spring bolts out, but how the heck do I get the clutch hub nut loose?

• hi_im_sean

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:23 PM

The clutch on my son's KX65 is slipping bad. I've never done a clutch before, but it really doesn't seem to hard. I got the cover off, but my question is how do you remove the main bolt (the service manual calls it the clutch hub nut. The service manual also says to hold the magneto flywheel with a puller tool, but I can't see what this does. I can hold it but the clutch still spins. I've got the spring bolts out, but how the heck do I get the clutch hub nut loose?

its a nut, not a bolt. the correct way to do it is to put the springs and plate back on, remove the thrust bearing, and hold the flywheel with the tool, and remove the nut, just like the manual says. if you dont have the tool like most of us, then you can either use an impact gun, or you can take the case cover off, and jam a penny between the clucth hub gear and the primary gear, and remove the nut

• hodgkins

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:34 PM

you don't need to pull the hub if you just plan on replacing the plates.

• comxrdr

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:53 PM

you don't need to pull the hub if you just plan on replacing the plates.

I can't get the plates out without removing the hub.

• hodgkins

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:59 PM

once you take the 5 or 6 small bolts and springs you should be able to remove the pressure plate and then remove the plates. give it a little pull as the oil will make them stick together.

after looking it up on a parts fiche that thing is bassackwards. I guess you have to get the nut off to do it. put a broom handle thru the spokes and on top of the swingarm and give the bolt a go with a 1/2 drive ratchet. does the nut have a washer that folds up around it? if it does you need to fold the edges down flush so the nut will turn.

the other option is an impact wrench if you own one.

• comxrdr

Posted December 30, 2008 - 05:37 PM

Yeah...it's bassackwards alright! I've tried locking the back wheel and turning (tried the penny thing too which would work very easy), but the whole hub still just spins (apart from the gear). I'm thinking I need an impact driver. I'm starting to wonder how I'm supposed to torque this back on if I ever get it off. I hope I don't have to be one of those guys that has to take his bike in in pieces to be fixed...plus pay all the money:)

• Borci88

Posted December 30, 2008 - 07:47 PM

Mmm that sounds like a very stubborn nut.
What we did when we took our's off our KX80 was to put a flat head screwdriver in between the clutch hub gear and the primary gear, you have to be careful to make you that you sit it in right as to not damage any teeth, but thats what worked for us, a lot of strength was needed too :busted:

Borci88.

• Little Jeff

Posted December 30, 2008 - 07:55 PM

To get the right torque setting, take a paint marker and make a mark on the nut and on the shaft it fits onto. as it was torqued at the factory, just line up those 2 marks and it will be torqued to the right spec. You will definately need an impact gun for that or get a flywheel holding tool of some sort.
Little Jeff

• hi_im_sean

Posted December 30, 2008 - 09:32 PM

Yeah...it's bassackwards alright! I've tried locking the back wheel and turning (tried the penny thing too which would work very easy), but the whole hub still just spins (apart from the gear). I'm thinking I need an impact driver. I'm starting to wonder how I'm supposed to torque this back on if I ever get it off. I hope I don't have to be one of those guys that has to take his bike in in pieces to be fixed...plus pay all the money:)

put the springs back on with a bolt and washer and use the penny

• SAPPERS

Posted December 31, 2008 - 04:29 AM

I submitted this artice here but it hasn't made it in yet. But you are more than welcome to go here to get the basics for clutch removal and inspection.
Granted I'm waiting on a part so I can post up the reassembly portion.

Oh, and if you're just doing the clutch pack. All you have to take off is the pressure plate, not the whole hub or basket.

Good luck

• dlowe102

Posted December 31, 2008 - 07:35 AM

Some kawaski's the hub nut must come off 89 125 is like that and i think a 65 is like that...the best thing it to go to rm mc and buy there tusk clutch holder it holds the clutch basket and also has pins that fit into the holes in the flywheel the tool is like 15 20 dallors.
But for now go to the autozone and borrow one of there cordless impact wrenches they are free to borrow and just impact it off...then impact it on.
the factorie mechanics do this all day long

• comxrdr

Posted December 31, 2008 - 12:10 PM

Well, I took it down to a friends garage. I don't know if the previous owner over torqued it or what, but it took the BIG impact driver to get it off. It was on there much tighter than 47 ft-lbs! Anyway, thanks for the help.

• hodgkins

Posted December 31, 2008 - 12:13 PM

good to hear.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.