03 yz450f gearbox woes

3 replies to this topic
  • Mperry48111

Posted December 30, 2008 - 08:10 AM

I have a 2003 yz450F. While riding, it will periodically shift itself into first gear. I don't know if this is a clutch issue or a gearbox issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Sounds like a big shoe issue.

Please provide a more elaborate description of when/how this occurs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mperry48111

Posted December 30, 2008 - 09:06 AM

There is no real rhyme or reason to when it happens. That is, it is no more likely to happen when hot than cold. I do have difficulty starting the bike while in gear - it lurches forward when I attempt to kickstart it. I know this suggests clutch issues. I am just hoping I don't have gearbox issues as well.

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2008 - 11:39 AM

You're not helping.

Does it happen when you're riding? At a standstill? On hard landings? What?

The only way that the trans can change gears is for the shift cam to rotate. A heavy shift lever, a weak or broken centering spring, index lever or spring, or hitting the lever with your foot are just about it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.